Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t go into D while in Valet Mode, turned that off and it went into D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night, valet could not shift my car into D.

He was able to open door & sit inside. Screen turned on, lights on.

I tried myself with keycard - car will not shift into D.

I removed keycard, had phone in pocket with Bluetooth on, still wouldn’t shift into D

Then, I turned off Valet mode.

It now shifted into D

Anyone had this happen? what could cause this?

Note: 12 hours before this happened, I had downloaded the latest update, 2019.36.2.4. Wonder if that screwed up something.

I removed keycard, had phone in pocket with Bluetooth on, still wouldn’t shift into D

It now shifted into D

Note: 12 hours before this happened, I had downloaded the latest update, 2019.36.2.4. Wonder if that screwed up something.
Don’t know if this is the issue, but using the valet mode requires you to hold the card under the armrest, after entry. Good luck with the sleuthing.

• Informative
Reactions: Kilotango74
This just happened to me. I was in a garage for a few days that parks two deep and moves the cars around as needed. It had definitely been moved at least once, but when I picked it up the valet informed me he couldn't get it into drive anymore. To my surprise I couldn't get it out of park either. As soon as I took it out of valet it was fine. I have no idea what happened.

It now shifted into D

I just had the same issue while getting my tires rotated with the car in Valet Mode, and this comes on the heals of the most recent update: 2019.40.50.7. There must be an issue within the update. It worked fine prior to this update when I put it into Valet Mode to leave it to be washed just three weeks ago. This definitely needs to be fixed. I had to take the car out of Valet Mode to allow the technician to put it into gear, which defeats the purpose of even having a Valet Mode.