Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won’t wake up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
It still drives, the center screen isn’t coming on.
Can’t connect to it via the app
What’s happening?

RCL8hyk.jpg

Car has been parked for a week, last time that my wife connected to it was a day ago to see it’s charge level.

Also although the car is in valet mode, and it shows it’s in valet mode. It’s actually not.

Not quite. Holding both scroll wheel buttons does a soft reset of the center screen. Both scroll wheel buttons while depressing the brake pedal does a hard reset of the center screen.

Pressing and holding the buttons above the scroll wheels resets the dashboard screen....

The brake pedal is new to me, I’ve had the car for over 3 years and this is the first time I’ve heard of this. It must be new for newer vehicles or some software changes have been made. I’m not alone in this.

Re-boot your Tesla | Tesla

But you are correct so thanks for the updated info.

Glad to share it. As you saw in the Tesla forum post you quoted, this is something that isn't in the owner's manual but most definitely is true.

For whatever reason (much like release notes) the Tesla owners manual is really incomplete and (philosophically speaking) reads a lot more like the owner's manual of a piece of consumer electronics (how many of us remember the "owner's manual" that used to come with an iphone before they got rid of it) as compared to the fairly thick owner's manuals that come with most cars these days? While many of the stuff that comes in ICE owner's manuals doesn't apply to Teslas (how many quarts of oil and what kind of oil necessary for oil change with and without filter change), things like detailed fusebox info/diagrams, transmission fluid specifications, specs for all the bulbs on the car, etc. make the manuals a useful reference. Heck, my wife's last Kia came with a 200 page manual for the touchscreen alone!

This is one of the ways Tesla takes a "computer industry" approach towards cars, but it does mean owners are far more reliant on forums and the internet to learn things as opposed to just "reading the funny manual" (current and former military personnel will get the reference).

Reactions: hpjtv