Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wrapped - Parking sensors not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had my model y vinyl wrapped and now the front parking sensors are no longer working. The back sensors still work.

From looking online, some people are saying to cut around the front sensors on the bumper. What exactly does that mean? Do I leave the vinyl on inside of the circle, and just trace around the outer edge of the circle?

It's strange how some people have their car wrapped and don't have any issues, and some do.

First of all, your vinyl installer should have told you whether the wrap is going to interfere with the sensors or not. If the back sensors were also covered with the same wrap and still working, your front sensors might be faulty.
As far as the trimming goes, you cut around the outer edge of the circle in order to avoid lifting.

First of all, your vinyl installer should have told you whether the wrap is going to interfere with the sensors or not. If the back sensors were also covered with the same wrap and still working, your front sensors might be faulty.
As far as the trimming goes, you cut around the outer edge of the circle in order to avoid lifting.
My installer told me that almost all Teslas work fine, but they get the odd one that doesn't work. He told me to try it out to make sure everything works fine, and if there's any issues, they will look into it.

I find it strange why most don't have issues with the front sensors, but the odd one does.

My installer told me that almost all Teslas work fine, but they get the odd one that doesn't work. He told me to try it out to make sure everything works fine, and if there's any issues, they will look into it.

I find it strange why most don't have issues with the front sensors, but the odd one does.
I added a small clear PPF on my rear bumper to protect it from loading/unloading things. It covers both middle USS but they work fine. It's possible that one sensor has failed. My previous Honda Odyssey had the whole front USS replaced because one was not working right.

So, since your installer already called this out and told you they would look into any issues you had, and you are having issues, why are you asking questions about cutting out sensors and such as if you were going to do that yourself?

You paid the installer, and they said they would take care of you. Let them?

It's strange how some people have their car wrapped and don't have any issues, and some do.

Its not strange to me, since people use various brands / types of wrap. Some may have materials that interfere and others may not. It would only be strange if everyone was installing the exact same brand, color and type of wrap, but they arent so this isnt strange, at least to me.

The only concern for OP is that if the color of the wrap is drastically different than the paint under it, the sensors will be the eye sore unless the OP is talking about the PPF. PPF and Vinyl wrap are two different things.

So, since your installer already called this out and told you they would look into any issues you had, and you are having issues, why are you asking questions about cutting out sensors and such as if you were going to do that yourself?

You paid the installer, and they said they would take care of you. Let them?

Its not strange to me, since people use various brands / types of wrap. Some may have materials that interfere and others may not. It would only be strange if everyone was installing the exact same brand, color and type of wrap, but they arent so this isnt strange, at least to me.
I'm not going to do this myself, the installer is going to do it. The reason I came on this forum is simply for knowledge. Perhaps I can pick up some tips that I can pass on to the installer? No harm in that.

You don't find it strange that all the sensors on the back and the sides work except for the front ones?

Look in the passengers side wheel well, in the front behind the plastic liner there is a large connector. If they had the front bumper off to wrap the car, they forgot that connector I bet.
Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look. However, I did put the car into service mode and looked under the camera and sensor section, and all the sensors had green lights. I'm thinking that it means that they're connected?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240422-123047.png
    Screenshot_20240422-123047.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look. However, I did put the car into service mode and looked under the camera and sensor section, and all the sensors had green lights. I'm thinking that it means that they're connected?
I had my car wrapped and had the same issue. They cut around the sensors and left a small part of the vinyl in the center of the sensor. It doesn't look bad to me. I don't mind the little white circle. Once the cut outs were done, the sensors worked with no issues.

Strange update today. The car was parked in the sun while my wife was at work, and when she came home the front sensors were working just fine. However, later in the evening, they stopped working again.

It seems that heat might be a factor?