TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Carbon Fiber film match for OEM Decor

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Tim-in-CA, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

Hello everyone! My MS75D will be arriving next week and I have the CF decor trim. Has anyone found a matte film that is a close match to the OEM CF decor pattern and matte finish? I’m looking to cover a few small areas that will be close to the oem trim and it would be great to have them match. I’m just that way I suppose. :) Any suggestions/links to Amazon pages would be great. I’m looking forward to getting the car and joining the community!

Thanks!!

2. WattMobile

WattMobile Member

3M cf is like perfect match to the OEM, please show results :) Which areas are you going to cover?

• Like x 1
  3. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

Thanks for the info, I'll have to find the matte version on Amazon ... right now, my plan is to wrap the center flip up door that houses the USB ports / phone connection. IMHO this should have been covered as well by Tesla in the vehicle's coordinating matching trim. Once I get the car, I'll see if there are any other small omissions. There's a page on Teslaratti showing how to remove the side center tunnel trim to be able to remove the door.

4. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Make sure to post pics when you're done. I've thought about this as well.

5. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

Will do ... if anyone else has done this to match the OEM CF deco, it would be great to see their results.

6. Acho

Acho Member

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

Here is comparison between OEM carbon fiber and 3M film. With and without flash. 3M film is textured unlike the smooth finish of the OEM

• Informative x 1
  7. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

Thanks for the pics. The pattern is very similar but the sheen is quite different. I assume that this is the matte version of the film?

8. Acho

Acho Member

3m has only one finish which is textured vvivid has different aproach and their films are with smooth finish but never got a chance to combere side by sidewith real carbon fiber. You can take a look at the carbon fiber films on their website: The VViViD Shop

P.S. The film is on the left!

9. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

Thanks. I’ll check it out and get a sample to compare once I get the car

10. WattMobile

WattMobile Member

I had the flip door at my console wrapped and it looks really nice with the carbon :) Had some professionals do it

11. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

Great. Do you know what film they used? Can you share pics for us? Thanks!

12. WattMobile

WattMobile Member

I will when I come back from my holiday. They used 3M Black Matte CF

13. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

14. Trebek1762

Trebek1762 Let's play jeopardy

Ask and ye shall receive...

Still have to do passenger trim. SUPER easy install with an exacto knife or equivalent.

Can easily cover all trim with a 60x12 roll. https://www.amazon.com/3M-CFS12-BLACK-CARBON-FIBER/dp/B0058DIDTY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1530891621&sr=1-1&keywords=1080+CF&dpID=51UnCOlXZbL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

With the arm rest though I had to do it in 2 parts to get the CF to go in the right direction. because of where the arm rests sit, you will never see the seam.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1