TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Carbon fiber interior pieces???

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by MLAUTO, Jul 27, 2016.

1. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

2. MileHighMotoring

There are only two options as I see it - either it's wrapped in faux CF vinyl, or they took apart the interior and molded custom CF for each piece. One would probably be a few hundred, the other many many thousands of dollars. I notice the rest of the dash seems to be wrapped in alcantara too.

3. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Those have to be fake. You can actually buy carbon fiber door handles, yet that's the one piece they didn't "upgrade" on the door? Doesn't pass the sniff test.

4. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

#4 DaveD, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    I'm pretty sure that's a Roadster that used to be owned by a guy here in the Seattle area. I don't know the details of the CF pieces construction, though I'm pretty sure that it's real CF. I don't remember the guy's name. Carl Medlock, @CM_007, may know more about who did the work, and/or how to contact the previous owner.

Btw, the wheels are Fikse brand, custom drilled/machined to fit the Roadster.

Update: I've sent Carl an email alerting him to this posting.

5. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#5 wiztecy, Jul 27, 2016
    Curious how Carl / the owner got around the 1.5 tire rotation marriage due to the TC restrictions.... The front/rear tires appear to be the same size, 17" rims. The front is a 205/40-17 can't read what the rears are. I'd like to know how that was done :)

I really hope they plugged this poor car in after they took this pic:
    [​IMG]

6. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

7. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

The lower center console piece under the shifter has a angled seam in the weave, which wouldn't be there if is was just a wrap. That along with the custom front foglights makes me believe that its real.

8. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

Ah, I missed the front lights - those are Carl's work: Daytime Running Lights Mod

9. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Looks like the work of Elie at Al & Ed's in West Hollywood.

• Informative x 1
  10. CM_007

CM_007 Member

The parts are real, I made a few of them.

Vin 154 was reworked by a local shop. Some of which didn't make it very long, so I remade a few of them from scratch. You are looking back on this with a variety of opinions. All of this was done before Tesla offered any CCCF parts for the roadster. I made a bunch of upgrades for the roadster.
    A sound reduction package that reduced the cars interior noise by 16db Most of the time when I did the package it was around 10db. I also created a door seal that keeps all of the debris from the door sill area. There were a bunch of things, I forget now the complete list
    I also made a driving light set. Dave has a photo of them on his car. I'll post one here.

VIN 154 had these parts recovered in carbon fiber fabric

Door panels
    Door Sills
    Cluster bezel
    Radio Bezel
    Dash top in satin to reduce glare
    LED lighting.
    alcantara smothered the rest of the interior.

I won't tell you how we tricked the car into the tire swap... But I will say this, there isnt another roadster that handles like that one does. You'll lose your lunch before I lost traction.

Yes we did this in 2009. 1208723_10201182685747853_163414831_n.jpg car-bumper.jpg IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1924.JPG IMG_1932 - Copy.JPG prod_auto4.jpg Tesla.jpg 1208723_10201182685747853_163414831_n.jpg car-bumper.jpg IMG_1516.JPG car-bumper.jpg 1208723_10201182685747853_163414831_n.jpg IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1924.JPG IMG_1932 - Copy.JPG prod_auto4.jpg prod_auto4.jpg Tesla.jpg

I am also the one that built the clear coat carbon fiber car. Enjoy the photos

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  11. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#11 wiztecy, Jul 27, 2016

I have a feeling the only way to get the wheels to work is to have a special adjustment to the firmware that updates to the new values other than stock. What else did you do to the Roadster that makes it handle like no other Roadster? I only see 17" front/rear mods and the rims in this area.... Did you put in the locking diff that only a few were floating around? I've put the quick ratio steering rack which is needed by far in this car, Nitron adjustable shocks, pushed out my camber maxing out the rear, put the S111 V2 arms to push more front camber, maxed out my caster on both sides, and just lately installed the S111 Spherical bearings/bushings. By far setting the camber correctly, putting in quality adjustable shocks and the Spherical bearings were the hugest improvements to make this car handle the way is should, like a supercar. But before I did the most of that I had to address the terrible braking of this car which was very high on my priorities and happy I did with the CFR 2 piece rotors and CarboTech AX6 pads. Surprised you didn't throw the big brake kit that Telsa was playing around with but never released... possibly you did.

Yes, we all love the pics! Thanks for the details.

12. CM_007

CM_007 Member

Looks like your car is an early vin with those wheels on it. I have two spares if you need them. Firmware was not required

13. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I have the heavy gunmetal cast wheels on #268. I've managed to collect four 2.5 Sport Forged Roadster wheels. Simple surface scratches on two, and two I got a great deal used but are like new with tires. I have one dupe rim as a spare.... now looking for the driver's rear to complete, then will be getting them all repainted since I have a mix of black and silver. Afraid I might have to shell out the $900+ for the last one... Light wheels make a huge difference all around, they improving braking, acceleration, and responsiveness/handling from the suspension. Sure you saw / felt that when you did your wheel upgrade.

14. CM_007

CM_007 Member

The reason 154 handled so well was the offset, we pushed the wheel as far out in the front as possible. The 1.5 cars can accept other size tire as long as you run thru the new tire adaptation process. I think we used 225 on the front. Its been a very long time since I saw that car in person.

15. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Gotcha with the offset. I saw the following tire size in the ad for the front wheel of #154, couldn't see the rear size due to not having the tire spec in view: 205/40-17

I think you're possibly mixing up the tire adaption / learning feature of the 2.x's, the 1.5s are stuck with tires that match the same front to rear tire rotation ratio as from factory. You can go larger or smaller with the rims, front will always have to be smaller in size, and the rotation has to match almost exactly or TC errors will appear hence why I was curious how you were able to pull off 17's for both the front and rear on 154.

16. CM_007

CM_007 Member

Like I said its been a while. Let me dust off my memory and recall what worked. I do know we did not do any programming. Maybe it was a percentage of the rear to front that worked. It was 17 and 17 or 17 and 18... You'd think I could remember all of this but life at Tesla was going pretty fast back then.

• Funny x 1
  17. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

I run 215/40/17 in the front which are almost the same size as the 195/50/16. 205/40/17 are almost the same as the 175/55/16. The sizes all vary depending on the manufacturer, so you need to compare specs for the 1.5.

• Informative x 1
  18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#18 TEG, Jul 27, 2016
    Since we seem to be having a carbon roadster fest here, have some more photo contributions:

j1.jpg j4.jpg j5.jpg View attachment 187432 j3.png

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. bart513

bart513 Member

Carl your work is amazing. Btw the door seals that you sold me work great! I have the rear black forged wheels for my 2.5 so if anyone has a set of front black forged wheels to sell please let me know!

• Like x 1
  20. NomoC8

NomoC8 Member

That rear diffuser is sweet! Is that a wrap or is it the TMC one for the 1.x?