Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought some large-sized alcohol wipes to make sure the surface was clear and clean (I'll also use these to clean the touchscreen for the matte screen protector I'll also install).

All the following pics are my test fitting.. I need to do more research on exactly where it should be mounted in relation to the hatchback lip. But I think I have it pretty close. Keep in mind that this is the spoiler just sitting on the deck lid, not taped down yet. You can see how well it sits/fits to the shape of the deck. Once I decide on the proper position, all that's required is affixing the edges first, then peeling back the 3M tape from the center-out. Very easy and I'd say more than worth the $160 landed cost, plus some painters' tape.

upload_2017-4-14_16-56-42.png

upload_2017-4-14_16-56-48.png

upload_2017-4-14_16-56-56.png

upload_2017-4-14_16-57-4.png

upload_2017-4-14_16-57-17.png

I bought an OEM one in the for sale section on here and brought it in turning my 12.5k service and asked the SC to mount it, fully ready to pay whatever they wanted to charge. Instead they did it for free, maybe because it was an OEM product and usually the purchase comes with installation?

Here's a whole album of my car getting done... Tesla Model S 100D

I just got it home yesterday, so I'll get some more pics of it soon!

Beautiful! I love the Tesla deep sea blue, especially with a satin finish like that.

I'm going for something with a slightly brighter blue, but still satin finish in Autoflex. Probably in a month or so once I get some other work done first.

upload_2017-4-15_10-2-31.png

It looks like they put the bottom edge of the spoiler right on the top edge of the deck lid (I enhanced your photo to bring out the edge detail). Is that the proper install location? (I don't know, just want to make sure I install mine in the right place).

I test fitted mine slightly forward of that position.

thanks.

Attachments

• WP_20170414_19_26_37_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20170414_19_26_37_Rich_LI.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 78
  • WP_20170414_19_27_00_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20170414_19_27_00_Rich_LI.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 66
View attachment 222947

It looks like they put the bottom edge of the spoiler right on the top edge of the deck lid (I enhanced your photo to bring out the edge detail). Is that the proper install location? (I don't know, just want to make sure I install mine in the right place).

I test fitted mine slightly forward of that position.

thanks.
This is how I did mine...bottom edge of spoiler aligned with the top edge of the deck lid. Initially I was leaning towards slightly forward like you had in your post above, but in the end installed it flush with the deck-lid edge, this gives it a bit more aggressive look (IMO). I kept second guessing for a few days after the install...but now I like it.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
And done... (yes, I know my car needs a wash). Very happy with the results.

View attachment 223109

View attachment 223110

I went right to the edge, and then backed it off just a tiny bit because the red 3M tape was barely showing underneath. I pushed it maybe 1mm or 2mm forward just so the tape would have full adhesion. Looks pretty good, I think!

View attachment 223111
Looking good, like the lighted Tesla letters too. Your license plate is my car's name 1.21 GW Time Machine :)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I bought an OEM one in the for sale section on here and brought it in turning my 12.5k service and asked the SC to mount it, fully ready to pay whatever they wanted to charge. Instead they did it for free, maybe because it was an OEM product and usually the purchase comes with installation?
They charged me $150 to install mine which I took off my told tesla and I even peeled off all the old tape but whatever it's probably because I'm out of warranty.

My SC doesn't know how to do this. Did you ask for anything special or happen to see how they did it?

Talk to one of the service techs...probably don't bother asking the reception desk squatters. The tech I spoke to immediately knew what I wanted. All he did was to take an ethernet cable attached to the computer he was using and hook it to my car in the secret behind the cubby spot. And then make the adjustments on his computer. The whole thing took about 5 minutes right in the drop off/driveway area of the service center. Unfortunately, he said that they don't have options for red calipers or any interiors aside from black seats, and they no longer have options for any custom colors besides the stock Tesla paints, unless my name happened to rhyme with "Speelon Tusk".

Just mention that you want to change the "avatar" of your car on the touchscreen and on the mobile app. The mobile app actually updated immediately as soon as the car did. Good luck!