Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding my experience to the list...

I ordered this matte-finish spoiler from AliExpress:
For Tesla S Matt Carbon Fiber Rear Trunk Wing Spoiler for Tesla S 4D All Sedan Models 70 85 P85 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

It took about two weeks to arrive, and was packed in a huge chunk of styrofoam that seems pretty indestructible. The weave and finish on the spoiler look 100% perfect except for a small blemish on the underside where it would never be visible.

I noticed when test fitting it, that the bottom of my spoiler is not just a 100% flat surface. It has a bit of a curve downward along the very rear edge, such that it follows the contour of the hatch, as it curves from horizontal to vertical. I mention this because I've seen some people on this thread mentioning that they mounted the spoiler slightly forward of the rear hatch edge. If you try that with one of these spoilers (maybe others are like this as well), the double sided tape will not contact the hatch at all in some areas, since the spoiler will be sitting about 2mm raised up on this rear lip I just described.

So the way I test fitted it was to first measure from each tip to the panel gap, making sure they were even (about 4-3/8" on each side of mine). Then keeping it centered, I slid the spoiler forward until I felt that rear lip on it come into contact with the rear edge of the hatch. Then I marked the position of the tips so I'd know how far forward/back to place it when the adhesive was exposed.

One thing I also did was to slide the red adhesive covering in the center of the spoiler, and pull it back about 2" on each side, leaving a little red tail hanging out to pull on. Also removed the two little 1" pieces on each end of the spoiler. Then when I had it placed exactly where I wanted it, I could press down the tips and center to tack it in place. Then slowly pull off the red adhesive covering using the tabs I created, thus not exposing the full adhesive until I had the spoiler aligned and checked. I figured this would help in case I needed to pull it off and re-align it once or twice (didn't have to).

Anyway, here are some pics. I'm pleased with the way it looks and hopefully it holds up for a few years. It smells TERRIBLE, so I sure hope the smell dissipates haha.

Also note in one of the rear view pics it looks like you can see some light under the left hand side of the spoiler. This isn't the case; it's a reflection of the sky in the car's paint. The spoiler as adhered tightly all the way around the edges.

IMG_3591.jpg
IMG_3603.jpg
IMG_3606.jpg
IMG_3593.jpg
IMG_3594.jpg
IMG_3595.jpg
IMG_3601.jpg
IMG_3604.jpg
IMG_3592.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg

Adding my experience to the list...

I ordered this matte-finish spoiler from AliExpress:
For Tesla S Matt Carbon Fiber Rear Trunk Wing Spoiler for Tesla S 4D All Sedan Models 70 85 P85 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

It took about two weeks to arrive, and was packed in a huge chunk of styrofoam that seems pretty indestructible. The weave and finish on the spoiler look 100% perfect except for a small blemish on the underside where it would never be visible.

I noticed when test fitting it, that the bottom of my spoiler is not just a 100% flat surface. It has a bit of a curve downward along the very rear edge, such that it follows the contour of the hatch, as it curves from horizontal to vertical. I mention this because I've seen some people on this thread mentioning that they mounted the spoiler slightly forward of the rear hatch edge. If you try that with one of these spoilers (maybe others are like this as well), the double sided tape will not contact the hatch at all in some areas, since the spoiler will be sitting about 2mm raised up on this rear lip I just described.

So the way I test fitted it was to first measure from each tip to the panel gap, making sure they were even (about 4-3/8" on each side of mine). Then keeping it centered, I slid the spoiler forward until I felt that rear lip on it come into contact with the rear edge of the hatch. Then I marked the position of the tips so I'd know how far forward/back to place it when the adhesive was exposed.

One thing I also did was to slide the red adhesive covering in the center of the spoiler, and pull it back about 2" on each side, leaving a little red tail hanging out to pull on. Also removed the two little 1" pieces on each end of the spoiler. Then when I had it placed exactly where I wanted it, I could press down the tips and center to tack it in place. Then slowly pull off the red adhesive covering using the tabs I created, thus not exposing the full adhesive until I had the spoiler aligned and checked. I figured this would help in case I needed to pull it off and re-align it once or twice (didn't have to).

Anyway, here are some pics. I'm pleased with the way it looks and hopefully it holds up for a few years. It smells TERRIBLE, so I sure hope the smell dissipates haha.

Also note in one of the rear view pics it looks like you can see some light under the left hand side of the spoiler. This isn't the case; it's a reflection of the sky in the car's paint. The spoiler as adhered tightly all the way around the edges.

my glossy spoiler came from them with 3m tape already installed... didn't get any extra tape

And done... (yes, I know my car needs a wash). Very happy with the results.

View attachment 223109

View attachment 223110

I went right to the edge, and then backed it off just a tiny bit because the red 3M tape was barely showing underneath. I pushed it maybe 1mm or 2mm forward just so the tape would have full adhesion. Looks pretty good, I think!

View attachment 223111
is the aftermarket spoiler thaf you get is full carbon fiber or just a carbon fiber wrap? I am concern with peelinf

Thanks! The leftmost 2" or so sits up about 1/8" or so, and that sort of bugs me. I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice it though. :p I haven't looked at a factory installed one close either, so I'm not sure how perfectly they fit in comparison.
Well, I had mine "factory" installed on my MS60 before I took delivery and yours looks perfectly aligned from the pictures. And most importantly, you saved like $1300, haha.

Reactions: jimmyz80
Can anyone tell me whether this spoiler is "floppy" or made of a rubberry material? I am asking because I ordered a spoiler from a different site that color matches the Tesla paint but I was surprised at the material when it was received.... The spoiler on my GSF is much more of a solid material.....

Can anyone tell me whether this spoiler is "floppy" or made of a rubberry material? I am asking because I ordered a spoiler from a different site that color matches the Tesla paint but I was surprised at the material when it was received.... The spoiler on my GSF is much more of a solid material.....
Mine was very solid; you can knock and press on it and it doesn't flex at all despite being hollow.

Mine was very solid; you can knock and press on it and it doesn't flex at all despite being hollow.

Mine too.

That looks fantastic. I am still agonizing about this. I want to do it, but I am just chicken.

Go for it. It's an easy install. Just mark it out with painters masking tape first, and use more 3M tape on the back that it comes with, and you'll be fine -- see my post above. I also had my and wife and daughter help hold it down for the first few minutes until the tape set but I don't think they were really needed.

So I got the Matte spoiler from FastTech and installed it today. The finish didn't seem right to me when I looked at it in the light, so I drove to the SC to compare to the stock spoiler.

I'm really disappointed in the finish on the FastTech spoiler. It has streaks in the finish and because it's actually a little glossy, they show. It's very noticeable in direct sunlight.

I got to the SC late (around 8pm) so the light isn't as good, but the difference is still pretty noticeable.

Take a look at the following two pics and let me know what you think.