Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarFax Issue on Trade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla pulled my CarFax which states I've 46k on my vehicle, I have 30k on my vehicle. It reflects a serving at a KIA dealership (owned by the same people I bought my car from) servicing my car last month and reporting the mileage as 46k. Well I've ever been to the KIA dealership which is over an hour away and my current mileage is actually 30k. I go to my dealer today (Hyundai) and asked them to fix it, all they could do was an inspection noting the correct mileage. So I contacted the KIA dealer advising them of their error and asking them to fix it. Which they are looking into. I've also reached out to CarFax and completed their correction report yesterday but so far heard nothing back from them.

Anyone else have this type of a cluster less than three weeks out from delivery and if so how did they fix it. Tesla of course won't touch my vehicle now which is understandable and I'm not about to eat hundreds if not thousands in costs because someone somewhere made a mistake. This is assuming I could even sell it now as it looks like my milage went from 27k to 46k to 30k.

You're doing about all you can do. Try to contact a Tesla Mgr if possible. Your car will show lower mileage when you bring it in. Why don't you get them to deal with it, and if the mileage is really 46K - then you will take a lower trade in rate. It seems as this is a solvable problem in that CarFax will eventually get it right, and it really matters as what the odometer says when they physically take the car in trade.

Good luck.

Reactions: George75
You're doing about all you can do. Try to contact a Tesla Mgr if possible. Your car will show lower mileage when you bring it in. Why don't you get them to deal with it, and if the mileage is really 46K - then you will take a lower trade in rate. It seems as this is a solvable problem in that CarFax will eventually get it right, and it really matters as what the odometer says when they physically take the car in trade.

Good luck.
I do appreciate the suggestions. It does show the actual mileage which isn't 46k but as everyone treats CarFax as gospel it'll be assumed something was done to roll back the mileage. I've already sent the report from my dealer over to Tesla along with a picture of the odometer and the report from CarMax, it was all rejected. I'm sure they did the match and understood than within less than a month the car supposedly was driven almost 19,000 miles. They said it has to be right on CarFax or else they can't accept the actual mileage. Therefore i assume they'll accept whatever CarFax says.

I intend to keep pressure on the dealer and trying to find a living person at CarFax to speak to. It's frustrating to put it mildly. Anyone else out there doing a trade, make sure everything is checked out early. I couldn't imagine walking in on delivery day only to be leaving empty handed.

Tesla pulled my CarFax which states I've 46k on my vehicle, I have 30k on my vehicle. It reflects a serving at a KIA dealership (owned by the same people I bought my car from) servicing my car last month and reporting the mileage as 46k. Well I've ever been to the KIA dealership which is over an hour away and my current mileage is actually 30k. I go to my dealer today (Hyundai) and asked them to fix it, all they could do was an inspection noting the correct mileage. So I contacted the KIA dealer advising them of their error and asking them to fix it. Which they are looking into. I've also reached out to CarFax and completed their correction report yesterday but so far heard nothing back from them.

Anyone else have this type of a cluster less than three weeks out from delivery and if so how did they fix it. Tesla of course won't touch my vehicle now which is understandable and I'm not about to eat hundreds if not thousands in costs because someone somewhere made a mistake. This is assuming I could even sell it now as it looks like my milage went from 27k to 46k to 30k.

You are doing all the right things. Also depending on how long you have owned your vehicle, which I assume is an ICE, DMV or emission records should show a relatively constant increase in miles over time. This could help argue your case with the Kia dealer.
All the best!

You are doing all the right things. Also depending on how long you have owned your vehicle, which I assume is an ICE, DMV or emission records should show a relatively constant increase in miles over time. This could help argue your case with the Kia dealer.
All the best!
Thanks, Florida no vehicle test lol. Bill of sale shows the mileage when I bought the car but that was a while ago. The KIA dealer isn't contesting it. 19,000 miles in a month that's a hard stretch even if I was an uber or had a team of people driving it. They admitted it's wrong I think the people I spoke with have no idea how to fix it. Which is why I intend to keep pressure up until they find whomever manages their CarFax subscription to send an update to CarFax removing the error. It's frustrating and annoying, hopefully this won't happen to anyone else out there!

Have you tried getting an online quote from Carvana or Zroom? Carvana beat my Tesla trade offer by a few thousands. Worth checking out and will likely be less hassle.

I second this. Recently took delivery of a Model X. I was trading in an Audi SUV. I got quotes from Tesla, Carmax, Vroom, and Carvana. Carvana has the best offer; A couple thousand more than Tesla.

Carvana and Vroom kept calling me to close the deal, meanwhile me knowing Tesla being Tesla, I wanted to have the Model X in hand before executing the trade. I was able to get Vroom to match Carvana but I decided trade-in with Carvana since I could drop it off locally.

I second this. Recently took delivery of a Model X. I was trading in an Audi SUV. I got quotes from Tesla, Carmax, Vroom, and Carvana. Carvana has the best offer; A couple thousand more than Tesla.

Carvana and Vroom kept calling me to close the deal, meanwhile me knowing Tesla being Tesla, I wanted to have the Model X in hand before executing the trade. I was able to get Vroom to match Carvana but I decided trade-in with Carvana since I could drop it off locally.
Yes Carvana also pull CarFax which makes my vehicle look like it's worth a less than it is. It's showing it as being $3,500 less thanks to that error. CarMax however uses AutoCheck which shows nothing yet. I'm not selling it to CarMax, Carvana, Vroom or anyone else as I don't want to pay to be in a rental while I'm hoping the M3 won't be delayed. If I did that I'm again out hundreds of dollars for something that isn't my fault. Plus I've no doubt AutoCheck will eventually pickup on the same error as CarFax and the value of my trade will slide again.

Last edited:
I do appreciate the suggestions. It does show the actual mileage which isn't 46k but as everyone treats CarFax as gospel it'll be assumed something was done to roll back the mileage. I've already sent the report from my dealer over to Tesla along with a picture of the odometer and the report from CarMax, it was all rejected. I'm sure they did the match and understood than within less than a month the car supposedly was driven almost 19,000 miles. They said it has to be right on CarFax or else they can't accept the actual mileage. Therefore i assume they'll accept whatever CarFax says.

I intend to keep pressure on the dealer and trying to find a living person at CarFax to speak to. It's frustrating to put it mildly. Anyone else out there doing a trade, make sure everything is checked out early. I couldn't imagine walking in on delivery day only to be leaving empty handed.
Definitely frustrating. It's like a credit mistake. Identical in fact. You have very few people to even talk to.

It's good that you're hammering on people. I know this could cost you, but can you bring it to a dealer ASAP for something simple like an oil change - nothing else? This way, your precise mileage will be noted and definitely look like a CarFax foul up.

I don't know how long it takes CarFax to get this info - but if it's fast, then Tesla will have proof - and put a check on their dysfunctional advisors.

Definitely frustrating. It's like a credit mistake. Identical in fact. You have very few people to even talk to.

It's good that you're hammering on people. I know this could cost you, but can you bring it to a dealer ASAP for something simple like an oil change - nothing else? This way, your precise mileage will be noted and definitely look like a CarFax foul up.

I don't know how long it takes CarFax to get this info - but if it's fast, then Tesla will have proof - and put a check on their dysfunctional advisors.

Thats a really good suggestion. If I was in OP's shoes I would do exactly this as well. I didnt think of it, but it makes good sense.

Thank you for the responses. I’ve already taken it to the dealer who has noted my correct mileage during an inspection but all that does for CarFax is show 27k, 46k and 30k miles. Looks like to the unobservant like odometer roll back. There’s a lot of people out there that don’t pay attention.

I’ve already been to CarMax, Tesla have that report and don’t seem to care about it. They only care about what CarFax says. I’m not selling it to anyone I want to trade it as that’s the best price and lowers my taxes. I’ll give up the M3 and sue that dealer before I’ll lose thousands of dollars on my trade. It won’t ever come to any of that as I’m sure the dealer will fix it.

It’s exactly like having great credit then showing a default you never had due to human error. Guilty until proven innocent.

Thank you for the responses. I’ve already taken it to the dealer who has noted my correct mileage during an inspection but all that does for CarFax is show 27k, 46k and 30k miles. Looks like to the unobservant like odometer roll back. There’s a lot of people out there that don’t pay attention.

I’ve already been to CarMax, Tesla have that report and don’t seem to care about it. They only care about what CarFax says. I’m not selling it to anyone I want to trade it as that’s the best price and lowers my taxes. I’ll give up the M3 and sue that dealer before I’ll lose thousands of dollars on my trade. It won’t ever come to any of that as I’m sure the dealer will fix it.

It’s exactly like having great credit then showing a default you never had due to human error. Guilty until proven innocent.

I really don't think anyone will think it's an odometer roll back. Tesla trade-in's are done in large quantities to wholesalers who probably don't have the time to inspect the "meat" in detail before they take it to market. Really! They roll carriers of Teslas in and carriers of trade-ins out.

But, I understand your concern. It's valid.

I really don't think anyone will think it's an odometer roll back. Tesla trade-in's are done in large quantities to wholesalers who probably don't have the time to inspect the "meat" in detail before they take it to market. Really! They roll carriers of Teslas in and carriers of trade-ins out.

But, I understand your concern. It's valid.
It's annoying but hopefully if the dealer can't fix it directly with CarFax or I can get a hold of CarFax to get it fixed. Either way I intend to get that M3 on delivery day. I'm already hundreds of dollars deep in this thing like most people with chargers, accessories and everything else.

I mentioned CarMax before and you said you did go there.
Did you know Telsa will match a CarMax printed quote?

Since a CarMax quote only is valid for so long and you are committed to the Telsa anyway ; you can wait until a couple days before pickup day, take it to CarMax ; get a written offer. Send a photo of the offer to Tesla have them match and that should solve your trade-in tax concern compared to selling the car to CarMax. Than you can forget about the whole CarFax issue.

If CarMax is offering you much less than Telsa was originally ; then maybe Telsa is playing difficult about the mileage discrepancy for a reason.

• Informative
I mentioned CarMax before and you said you did go there.
Did you know Telsa will match a CarMax printed quote?

Since a CarMax quote only is valid for so long and you are committed to the Telsa anyway ; you can wait until a couple days before pickup day, take it to CarMax ; get a written offer. Send a photo of the offer to Tesla have them match and that should solve your trade-in tax concern compared to selling the car to CarMax. Than you can forget about the whole CarFax issue.

If CarMax is offering you much less than Telsa was originally ; then maybe Telsa is playing difficult about the mileage discrepancy for a reason.
I already went to CarMax, already sent the CarMax report to Tesla and they said come back when you fix CarFax. CarMax quote is good for 7 days, Tesla will match that price assuming CarFax is in order. The reason I want to trade with Tesla and I know this won't work for everyone is CarMax's price is only a few hundred dollars off what Carvana offered. Obviously trading also lowers the amount of sales tax I'd pay making the deal better.