Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Used Model Y with Clean Carfax but Tesla reported damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! Looking at purchasing a Model Y in the LA area. The previous owner leased the car, returned it, the dealer purchased at an auction. The CarFax is clean as of now. However, it JUST got to the dealer and I found some curb rash on the wheels, some chipped paint on the rear bumper and some chocolate melted on the carpet. The dealer was kind enough to reveal that even though the carfax is clean, tesla reported that damage existed upon return. While the dealer will fix these things, it kind of made me nervous about carfax/autocheck eventually reporting damage on the car, then becoming a salvage title, etc. He said most dealers don't disclose these things, but he does this just in case something eventually was to pop up on CarFax. I'm concerned on the transfer of ownership, the carfax may no longer be clean and may report "damage".

I have to assume half of all leased cars are coming back with some damage, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. Anyone been through this? I guess I'm wondering how different this is than purchasing any other used car?

LOL! CarFax only has visibility on reported items such as insurance claim. But I am sure they are glad you bought-in on their marketing effort.

You aren't buying a used Tesla from the used Tesla factory so make sure you do your due dilligent.

Cheers,

beewang

So you’re saying a lease return had curb rash, paint chips and melted chocolate in the carpet. What a surprise!!
It’s a lease return, not a brand new car.
Those items wouldn’t be on a CarFax report since they obviously weren’t claimed via insurance to fix and probably wouldn’t meet the dollar threshold to trigger them to be reported.
If you want a car without curb rash, paint chips or melted chocolate, buy new.
You may actually get those with a new Tesla too though 🤣

The Tesla was originally leased from who? I imagine most Teala leases are from Tesla and have to be returned to Tesla. Then ask, why did Tesla send it to auction as they rarely do with their own brand used vehicles.
I would only by used Tesla from Tesla, not private (due to not getting the tax rebates), and not a used car dealership due to lies by them.

LOL! CarFax only has visibility on reported items such as insurance claim. But I am sure they are glad you bought-in on their marketing effort.

You aren't buying a used Tesla from the used Tesla factory so make sure you do your due dilligent.

Cheers,

beewang
Even then, Carfax misses a lot. I own two vehicles that had significant insurance claims many years ago (truck @ $5k and 911 @ $25k). Both show clean, accident-free history on the Carfax. While repairing the 911, the bodyshop found evidence of prior collision repair.

Even then, Carfax misses a lot. I own two vehicles that had significant insurance claims many years ago (truck @ $5k and 911 @ $25k). Both show clean, accident-free history on the Carfax. While repairing the 911, the bodyshop found evidence of prior collision repair.
Buying a used vehicle is a roll of the dice it wasn't an unreported repair, unless you personally know the prior owners.

Now if you can buy a luxury car that was 90k a few years ago for 35k now it's likely worth it.

But I never understood why so many people buy a used Toyota or Tesla or Honda or Subaru /etc, when only saving a tiny couple thousand.

Buying a used vehicle is a roll of the dice it wasn't an unreported repair, unless you personally know the prior owners.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I am the original owner of the truck and third owner of the 911. Both of the referenced accidents happened during my ownership, I filled against my insurance, they paid for the repairs, but neither shows on the Carfax to this day. So that's two examples of "clean Carfax doesn't mean accident-free vehicle."

Now if you can buy a luxury car that was 90k a few years ago for 35k now it's likely worth it.

But I never understood why so many people buy a used Toyota or Tesla or Honda or Subaru /etc, when only saving a tiny couple thousand.
I bought a 3 year old 2004 911 GT3 and a 2 year old 2014 P85+. Both were ~$125k new, paid just over $70k for each. I'd call that worth it. We have a Subie that we bought used/CPO in 2020 (former rental car, 1 year old) and saved 8-9k vs new. That will cover a lot of repairs.

I can also contribute a data point, had two accidents on the Honda, both went through insurance, repaired by bodyshop, etc. The one with a police report was shown on Carfax, the one without police report was not shown (I got a copy of the other driver’s insurance card and let her go. But when I called police, the officer said if I didn’t call them right away at the scene, there’s nothing they can do).