Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo Weight's Effect on Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be taking delivery of my MY LR in the next few weeks. Just wondering what to expect when we take a weekend road trip with 4 total adults + small luggage. Will I notice a significant drop in efficiency/range with the added weight?

I recently took a small road trip with 4 adults in the vehicle and the cargo area relatively full. Usually when I drive it's just me, or me andmy 2 children. I definitely noticed a difference in how the vehicle drove. It felt 'heavier' for sure. I didn't notice any significant reduction in range or efficiency though. When I plugged the extra weight in ABRP it said I only lost about 1% in range from the extra 700+ lbs of weight I estimated in the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt and Zoomit
I recently took a small road trip with 4 adults in the vehicle and the cargo area relatively full. Usually when I drive it's just me, or me andmy 2 children. I definitely noticed a difference in how the vehicle drove. It felt 'heavier' for sure. I didn't notice any significant reduction in range or efficiency though. When I plugged the extra weight in ABRP it said I only lost about 1% in range from the extra 700+ lbs of weight I estimated in the vehicle.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

At a constant speed the “friction” forces that the motor has to over come are rolling resistance, friction in the power train to the wheels and drag. Of those three, only rolling resistance is a really a big function of the car’s weight. At highway speeds the drag on the car is significantly more than rolling resistance (several times more). Unless you do a lot of stop and go / accelerating or drive at low speeds (< ~25mph) the range of the car is effectively independent of the weight of the car at long distances.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
At a constant speed* the “friction” forces that the motor has to over come are rolling resistance, friction in the power train to the wheels and drag. Of those three, only rolling resistance is a really a big function of the car’s weight. At highway speeds the drag on the car is significantly more than rolling resistance (several times more). Unless you do a lot of stop and go / accelerating or drive at low speeds (< ~25mph) the range of the car is effectively independent of the weight of the car at long distances.

*At constant speed.... on flat terrain. Presumably trip has some terrain