Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carmax Appraisel Submission Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded my car in and Tesla matched the quote. It was within $1K. If the Tesla's offer is close you may want to trade-in with Tesla for the tax advantage. For example, if your Tesla is $78K and your trade-in is $34K you only get taxed on $44K. If you sell to CARMAX they give you $34K, but you still pay the full tax on $78K for your Tesla. Need to look at the numbers to see if it is worth it for your specific situation.

Reactions: SSedan and Chips
I traded my car in and Tesla matched the quote. It was within $1K. If the Tesla's offer is close you may want to trade-in with Tesla for the tax advantage. For example, if your Tesla is $78K and your trade-in is $34K you only get taxed on $44K. If you sell to CARMAX they give you $34K, but you still pay the full tax on $78K for your Tesla. Need to look at the numbers to see if it is worth it for your specific situation.

This is not everyone, just FYI. There are some states (And california is one) in which there is NO tax credit at all for trading in a car.

Tesla offered me $1500 more than CarMax on my trade-in. 2015 Ford Focus Electric.

Off topic inc

BTW...

Thanks for the quote in your signature regarding "its not an M3 thats a BMW". The number of people here who call it an "M3" is staggering. "M3" is a model number of a specific, well known, BMW branded performance car. Its not a tesla. Now, with that being said, I bought my model 3 performance INSTEAD of an M3, even though I am a "BMW guy". The test drive was that convincing. I couldnt believe I could get that performance and handling, with tech I liked, in a car that would end up almost 15k+ cheaper than the way I would spec a BMW M3 AND I would save money commuting every day doing it.

I have wanted to say something but was pretty sure I would get flamed for it, but yeah its not an M3 people, its a Model 3, and shortening it to the name of another brands "halo" car is silly to me.

Reactions: TW14 9LF