Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carmax Quote...What do you think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Hotlobstah for your zip the KBB trade in range is $49,094 - $55,082 and Private party value is $54,060 - $60,580. Have you considered selling it retail?

Also depends on what you are trading for. In GA we pay tax only on the delta between sale price and trade in value, so in my cases the hassle with retail sale wasn't worth the extra few bucks for my previous trades.

Reactions: Aieukl378
@Hotlobstah for your zip the KBB trade in range is $49,094 - $55,082 and Private party value is $54,060 - $60,580. Have you considered selling it retail?

Also depends on what you are trading for. In GA we pay tax only on the delta between sale price and trade in value, so in my cases the hassle with retail sale wasn't worth the extra few bucks for my previous trades.
I've thought of that but not sure I want to deal with private sale. Tesla offered about 38k so figured this was a good middle ground(between trade and private sale) offer with no hassle.

Carmax doesn't sell anything they can't service (or sell an extended warranty for), so they don't sell Teslas. That means that they will only offer you less than the wholesale value of the car at auction, so their offers are always low on Teslas. I think you can do better unless you just want the convenience of a Carmax sale.

Edit: Correction, someone just pointed out that Carmax does now sell Teslas, so they will probably be very competitive for a no hassle sale.

Last edited:
Carmax doesn't sell anything they can't service (or sell an extended warranty for), so they don't sell Teslas. That means that they will only offer you less than the wholesale value of the car at auction, so their offers are always low on Teslas. I think you can do better unless you just want the convenience of a Carmax sale.

Carmax has started recently selling Teslas.

https://www.carmax.com/car/15767766