Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think Tesla should support the Matter Smart Home standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
I was reading an article today about Matter, the Smart Home standard. The standard was just updated to v1.2 which included things like refrigerators, smoke alarms, and robot vacuum cleaners. It got me thinking about what that might mean if the standard supported cars and how Tesla might capitalize on that.

I can think of a couple of scenarios where it might be cool to have your car support something like Matter. For one, it could automatically do things when you approach your house. Sure, we have auto garage door open/close functionality, but the car doesn't really know if the door is already open or closed. With Matter support it could be a lot more intelligent about the whole thing. It could also trigger other things, like turning on lights or unlocking doors when you arrive.

Beyond simple garage door mechanics, I can see a future where your home automation system could do things like pre-heat/cool your car for you, depending on the weather or your work schedule. It would make asking about the status of your car easier. In fact, you could create a simple routine to change the color of a light bulb to let you know the state of charge for your car.

What else can you think of that might be handy if Tesla supported Matter?

I was reading an article today about Matter, the Smart Home standard. The standard was just updated to v1.2 which included things like refrigerators, smoke alarms, and robot vacuum cleaners. It got me thinking about what that might mean if the standard supported cars and how Tesla might capitalize on that.

I can think of a couple of scenarios where it might be cool to have your car support something like Matter. For one, it could automatically do things when you approach your house. Sure, we have auto garage door open/close functionality, but the car doesn't really know if the door is already open or closed. With Matter support it could be a lot more intelligent about the whole thing. It could also trigger other things, like turning on lights or unlocking doors when you arrive.

Beyond simple garage door mechanics, I can see a future where your home automation system could do things like pre-heat/cool your car for you, depending on the weather or your work schedule. It would make asking about the status of your car easier. In fact, you could create a simple routine to change the color of a light bulb to let you know the state of charge for your car.

What else can you think of that might be handy if Tesla supported Matter?
Teslamate software combined with Homeassistant home automation software can already do all these things, and more using the Tesla APIs.

It's best not to have the car controlling things in the house. The car should provide it's state data and accept control commands. Let a home automation system, which knows how to interface with many, many different systems, handle the automation.

Reactions: DOCAL and RNHurt
Upvote 0