TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Carpool stickers Ca

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by barcagp, Jul 11, 2018.

1. barcagp

barcagp Member

I was wondering if anyone knew if the stickers are given to the car and if a car does not have them-is there a way to obtain from dmv?
    Are they only given once? Are they transferred? Should I just apply for the red ones- I’m assuming 2015’s are eligible

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

3. dethman

dethman Member

i think as long as the car got the white or red stickers for the first time 2017 or after, then they are eligible for renawal through 2022. if the car applied for CA HOV stickers 2016 or before, they will expire end of this year.

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

The ARB guidelines are confusing ..this is from ARB website

White Clean Air Vehicle Decals are no longer being issued, but are valid until January 1, 2019 (per AB 266). These stickers were issued to an unlimited number of qualifying Federal Inherently Low Emission Vehicles (ILEVs). Cars that met these requirements were typically certified full zero emission vehicles (100% battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles) and some very clean compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles.”

Either way I have both red and white stickers in my car I refuse to put them on as they look horrendous ..I still use the HOV lanes though :oops:

5. dethman

dethman Member

ever get looked at sideways by the fuzz?

6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

No in OC everyone drives Tesla’s in HOV lane ...

7. barcagp

barcagp Member

Yeah that’s been the confusing part and there are many different interpretations.
    I assumed all red ones were good until 2021 or 2022. I thought only whites expired on Jan1st of next year

8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

In that link above there is some language where says if u apply for reds in sept or oct I believe than they are good till 2022...the DMV takes about 2mos to process these requests and u can’t go to local office ...these are handled directly from Sacramento

9. cablue

cablue Member

My understanding is the white stickers, which I have, will expire on the 1st of January, 2019. No extension is available. Only 2017s or newer will be able to apply for the extension. Our 3 has a red sticker. I believe that will also expire on the 1st, but we can then get the extension. New stickers are red now, but I think they will change to a new color in January. I'm bummed to lose my sticker. My car is a 2013. I don't understand how a hybrid would be able to have access and not an all-electric car, regardless of year.

10. barcagp

barcagp Member

#10 barcagp, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Well that really sucks. Those stickers are extremely valuable in traffic
    My question is is it for cars made in 2017 or later. What if A 2014 car never applied for stickers?

11. barcagp

barcagp Member

Is there a way to check if car had previously registered for the stickers in California with the vin?
    Online? DMV call?

12. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

U call this number to check
    1-800-242-4450

13. barcagp

barcagp Member

I did. First few times they didn’t have space for messages.
    Then they said I need to speak to DMV. I’ll try today.

14. OCP85+

OCP85+ Member

Any luck with this?

15. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Lol that 800 number is the DMV special processing unit ...I’m sure when u go local office they will tell you to call 800 number ;)...if ur car didn’t have stickers on just apply as new

16. barcagp

barcagp Member

So it was registered with stickers already but they never applied them so I don’t have them.
    I need to wait for my plates now. It’s too bad after January I won’t be able to use it since it’s a 2015