Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars, Candidates, Loans, and Bailouts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solyndra Is Blamed as Clean-Energy Loan Program Stalls

Even with President Obama’s emphasis on promoting cleaner cars, only $8.4 billion of the $25 billion authorized by Congress for the A.T.V.M. program has been allocated, with just one small project of $50 million gaining approval in the last two years. With the recent withdrawals of applications, it is unclear whether any car loan applications are still being considered.

Larry

GM, Tesla fight politicization of electric cars

GM Chief Executive Officer Dan Akerson has complained about the political atmosphere that surrounds the Volt.
"Sometimes I feel bad for President Obama," he said this month after an appearance at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco. "This car was designed and committed to well before he was president, and it's called the 'Obamacar.' It's not the Obama car. I'm proud and I'm pleased that he thinks highly of it, but it's all on us. It's not a political issue."

The automaker accused Republicans and the media of hyping claims that the car caught fire during testing, which forced temporary layoffs at the Volt plant in Detroit.

Tesla, which received a $465 million Department of Energy loan, has dropped pursuit of new federal loans, raised private cash and plans in July to start deliveries of its $50,000 S car, claiming it is on its way to the mass car market.

"We applied during the Bush administration, and we were approved under the Obama administration, so as far as we're concerned, we at least had a bipartisan relationship for the loan," said Tesla spokesman Ricardo Reyes. "We got one of first loans and we used it to build the car that is now going into production in a U.S.-based facility. ... I'd like to think we're pretty much a case study on what the loan program was designed to do."

Larry

Government and the electric car

One lesson is the tried and true aphorism that government isn't any good at picking winners. This isn't, by the way, a knock on government. No one is particularly good at picking winners. The problem for government is that while market-produced losers usually fail and go away, making room for winners, government-produced losers tend to stick around for a while, sucking resources away from potential winners. No one knows in advance whether something will work; government's failure is in its relative unwillingness to clear away the chaff.

Larry

[Mod edit: Moved generic EV political discussion here from the Fisker Karma thread...]

Here's how I see the worst case scenario going down:

Republican candidate- Obama loaned 500 million to Fisker and their cars catch on fire, green energy programs a failure, loose fiscal policy, etc, etc
Republican wins presidency and kills all the green loans and tries to renegotiate the low interest loans to Nissan, Ford, and Tesla to a higher interest rate, kills the 7.5 K rebate (at this point Fisker is dead)
More oil drilling in the US
Puts pressure on Nissan and Ford so they immediately pay it back and do NOT continue to build the cars, Tesla struggles and delays Model X and mass market car development
Without the rebate, the leaf is out of reach as an entry level EV- sales drop off
Chrysler and Toyota pull out of Tesla leaving them a niche market, crippling Tesla
Tesla stock falls due to missed deadlines due to monetary constraints
All EV players dead or dying

Disagree. While the rest of the world enjoys America to lead, we are smart enough not to follow through if America blunders.
* California unlikely to soften up its Clean Air/Zero Emission policy, regardless of color of president in Washington, D.C.
* Nissan is not a U.S. based company and sells 50% of all Leafs outside U.S.
*Killing the tax rebate doesn't affect CDN/overseas markets.
* Daimler and other manufacturers likely will protect their investment in Tesla.
In closing, should Republicans seize presidency later this year, please stop delivery of Model S to US citizens -- send the cars over here, please. We're waiting. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree. While the rest of the world enjoys America to lead, we are smart enough not to follow through if America blunders.
* California unlikely to soften up its Clean Air/Zero Emission policy, regardless of color of president in Washington, D.C.
* Nissan is not a U.S. based company and sells 50% of all Leafs outside U.S.
*Killing the tax rebate doesn't affect CDN/overseas markets.
* Daimler and other manufacturers likely will protect their investment in Tesla.
In closing, should Republicans seize presidency later this year, please stop delivery of Model S to US citizens -- send the cars over here, please. We're waiting. :cool:

I agree that California will not kill the its incentives, but Nissan did get a huge DOE loan to build the EVs which are selling at a loss (3 billion dollar loan), same thing with Ford (5 billion dollar loan), if those loans are renegotiated at a higher rate in order to access the rest of the money, they will not be able to sell them or take substantially more losses. I'm looking at the glass half empty. With Nissan, 50% of the Leaf sales are in the US and the US offers the rebate. If they cut out the rebate AND open up oil fields, EV's become less economically viable short term.
If for example, John Q Citizen has a choice between a Tauras for 20 K + 1 K/year gas ($2/gallon) or a Focus EV at 40 K + 300/year electricity; the mass market EV movement will fail in the US because people don't think long term, they'll just think the Taurus is cheaper all around.
Let's be honest here, when it comes to EVs the market is engineers, environmentally concerned people, financially savvy people and "techies". If you take out financially savvy people that's a quite a number of sales. Also a large percentage of the market is the US, if you take out that market it is a crippling blow on any company (specifically cars since their current stocks have to be retrofit to be sold in other markets)

Yes, the DOE loan was started by Bush, but I think the election is going to be very nasty and I think the Republicans will use Fisker as a "Billy Carter of EVs" and it will inflame their base as the "DOE loans were part of Obama's green program" whether its true or not

I agree that California will not kill the its incentives,

California may be forced to eliminate the incentives with a 16 Billion$ deficit in the budget that was "unforseen" in the news today. If I remember correctly the budget numbers that were presented by our governor last year were termed "extreemly optomistic" and additional cuts were likely if those numbers did not pan out.

Wasn't it a Republican administration that initiated the DOE loan program?
Bush signed the DOE loan program into law, but the legislation was passed by the Democrats in Congress. Plus near the end of his administration (2nd term) he was going against the wishes of a vast majority of Republicans (critically the signing of the auto bailouts). However, in his first term, he was in lockstep with most Republicans. I think Romney will also be in lockstep for his first term because he still has to go for reelection if he gets elected.

Thanks for the move rabr10.

"Billy Carter of EVs"

I think I'll crack open a Billy.

billy-beer-hommer1.jpg
billy-beer.jpg

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/05/14/tesla-will-start-repaying-loans-by-end-of-this-year/
Looks like Tesla will get the rest of the money from the loan by the end of the year and then start repaying it. I'm not sure, but I would think that they can't raise interest rates after Tesla already got all the money. And the sooner Tesla repays it, the better. Then Tesla can put the politics behind them.

Fisker is not so lucky since they missed milestones on the Karma, which delayed their funding, and they still need to hold out until they get the money for the Atlantic. The positive thing for them is they seem to have no problem finding private funding, so they might still be able to go on without the DOE loan.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/05/14/tesla-will-start-repaying-loans-by-end-of-this-year/
Looks like Tesla will get the rest of the money from the loan by the end of the year and then start repaying it. I'm not sure, but I would think that they can't raise interest rates after Tesla already got all the money. And the sooner Tesla repays it, the better. Then Tesla can put the politics behind them.

Fisker is not so lucky since they missed milestones on the Karma, which delayed their funding, and they still need to hold out until they get the money for the Atlantic. The positive thing for them is they seem to have no problem finding private funding, so they might still be able to go on without the DOE loan.

Interesting comment from letstakeawalk:

This is an arranged condition of the loan - the date they are supposed to begin repayment was arranged when they took the loans.

Tesla is required to start making the 28 equal quarterly repayments on the Project P (battery manufacturing) Loan beginning December 15, 2012. Final maturity is Sept. 15, 2019.

They are to start the 40 equal quarterly repayments on the Project S (Model S manufacturing) Loan also beginning December 15, 2012. Final maturity is Sept. 15, 2022.

I didn't know this (though I'm sure it's publicly available in some document somewhere). Certainly puts it a bit in perspective (where the casual reader might think: oh wow, Tesla is already planning on paying back?!? They must be doing great! [which we know they are]).