Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cash Buyer - My bank doesn't recognise Tesla account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I worked on the confirmation of payee feature which powers these verifications. Many traditional banks use archaic systems that doesn't support name fields over certain characters long. So "Tesla Motors Limited" could never get stored or verified without errors! Challenger banks have the latest tech and are better.

Reactions: ejvee
I worked on the confirmation of payee feature which powers these verifications. Many traditional banks use archaic systems that doesn't support name fields over certain characters long. So "Tesla Motors Limited" could never get stored or verified without errors! Challenger banks have the latest tech and are better.
Thanks.. Fortunately, my other bank, Santander , allowed transfer, albeit washing their hands off the veracity of the recipient. Did a tiny test transfer and once it was credited in "MY TESLA" account in couple of hours, I did the rest of large transfer. HSBC just declined any transfer, which was bizarre !!!

The whole confirmation system was never going to work well.. well meaning but there are simply too many variations in name spelling before you get to internal field length limits etc.. (‘falsehoods programmers believe about names’ is a good read).

But banks are treating it as gospel and putting up scary warnings that imply the account is somehow dodgy… without saying what name they •do• have stopping a human from being able to resolve the issue.

Thanks.. Fortunately, my other bank, Santander , allowed transfer, albeit washing their hands off the veracity of the recipient. Did a tiny test transfer and once it was credited in "MY TESLA" account in couple of hours, I did the rest of large transfer. HSBC just declined any transfer, which was bizarre !!!

if you are doing it via the App it has a £10k limit per day, you have to go to the full website for a higher limit.

Also sending £1 and then sending a larger amount looks dodgy from a fraud perspective.

if you are doing it via the App it has a £10k limit per day, you have to go to the full website for a higher limit.

Also sending £1 and then sending a larger amount looks dodgy from a fraud perspective.
I said, HSBC didn't even allow any transfer , be it small or large, either from app or online banking. It didn't give me a choice to ignore the warning and make the transfer either