Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cash Incentives from CARB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a top-level topic dedicated to EV incentives on the Tesla owners forum. The CA AFV incentive, and the AFV sales tax reduction have been discussed and explained there.

I assume everyone knows about the $7,500 federal tax credit that starts Jan 1, 2009 which was passed with the "Wall Street bailout" bill. The credit also works against AMT which likely comes into play for many Roadster owners.

Here's a link to a list of state programs taken from one of the owner forum posts (it's from a natural gas site, but covers alternative fuel incentive programs):

State Incentives

My personal favorite in the Washington state program that removes state-level sales and use tax from qualifying alternative fuel vehicles starting Jan 1, 2009. 6.8% of the cost of a Roadster is significant.

I'm told there's some paperwork magic that car dealers can do to delay the processing date of the paperwork by up to 45 days, yet still allowing the dealer to collect and deposit funds and deliver the car. Roadster owners taking delivery after mid November should talk to the Tesla folks about qualifying for state and federal tax breaks that start on Jan 1, 2009.

There's a top-level topic dedicated to EV incentives on the Tesla owners forum. The CA AFV incentive, and the AFV sales tax reduction have been discussed and explained there.

Great. Hopefully, all Tesla owners who have received a car have read that topic and applied for their rebates.

As previously mentioned, I am no longer participating in the Tesla Owner's forum. Darryl Siry sent me a note saying that my ban would be lifted provided that I only write nice things there, and insiders tell me that my posts are subject to special screening by Darryl. I have no desire whatsoever to be subjected to Darryl's scrutiny or censorship.

It seems these programs need the automakers to be proactive in making sure the alternative cars they make get on qualifying "lists" and that the dealers have to do a lot of paperwork to get buyers discounts as well.

Sounds like Tesla is not doing this if as Martin says, he had to find out about rebates from someone else.

The money Martin tapped into is gone.

Call to action.

California AB 118 funding money for EVs and plug-ins is now gone long before the program sunsets in June.
This program gives rebates of
Zero Emission Light Duty $5,000 (Tesla)
Plug in Hybrid Light Duty $3,000
Neighborhood Electric V $1,500
Zero Emission Motorcycle $1,500
Zero Emission commercial Vehicle $20,000

You can help extend these funds into '09 and '10 by posting comments, watching and commenting during the webcast, or even attending the meeting in Sacramento.

Details:
Next Friday April 24 starting at 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM the California Air Resources Board (CARB) will meet to consider an extension or Grandfathering to AB 118 (in part the Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Fund) with AQIP (Air Quality Improvement Program) for fiscal year 2009-2010 adding an addition 2.9 and 5 million dollars for zero emission and plug in vehicles http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aqip/fundplan/aqip_FY09-10_FP_appendix.pdf
The public meeting takes place at the Cal/EPA Headquarters, Byron Sher Auditorium, Sacramento CA.

The day's agenda includes:
09-4-6:
Public Hearing to Consider the Adoption of a Proposed Regulation for Assembly Bill 118 Air Quality Improvement Program Guidelines
Staff will present a proposed regulation for Assembly Bill (AB) 118 Air Quality Improvement Program (AQIP) Guidelines. AB 118 (Nunez, 2007) provides ARB with $50 million annually for AQIP to fund a variety of air quality incentives, and requires ARB to adopt AQIP guidelines. The proposed Guidelines define the program’s structure and establish minimum administrative implementation requirements.
More Information Staff Presentation

09-4-7:
Public Meeting to Consider the Adoption of the Proposed AB 118 Air Quality Improvement Program Funding Plan for Fiscal Year 2009-10
Staff will recommend that the Board approve allocation of Air Quality Improvement Plan (AQIP) funds to specific project categories for the 2009-10 fiscal year. AB 118 allows for the AQIP to fund a variety of air quality incentive projects to address criteria pollutant emissions, including low-emission vehicles and equipment, research, and workforce training.

Public comments on each can be made here:
Board Comments Submittal Form
and here:
Board Comments Submittal Form

(comments page Subject Top Page: Send Us Your Comments )

If you can't make the meeting you can watch and comment from the Webcast live feed.

Links:
Cal/EPA Live Webcast info page:
Cal/EPA Live Webcasts
Meeting Agenda
Board Meeting Agenda for April 23 & 24, 2009
AQIP Program:
Subject Top Page: AB 118 Air Quality Improvement Program
Funding Plan:
Background Material: AQIP Funding Plans
Extension AQIP (see Part B):
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aqip/fundplan/aqip_FY09-10_FP.pdf
Important Appendix:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aqip/fundplan/aqip_FY09-10_FP_appendix.pdf
AB 118 (original)
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_0101-0150/ab_118_bill_20071014_chaptered.pdf

Today Friday the 24th is the 2nd day of the meeting.

Here is what the decided the first day.
Capitol Weekly: CARB adopts low-carbon fuel standard
The dramatic new regulation – dramatic even in the context of rules adopted by the ARB governing greenhouse gases that have captured international attention -- would curb fuels’ carbon emissions from their inception to their combustion. Nichols described the new regulation as a “cradle-to-grave” approach to curb greenhouse gases....

That means that the greenhouse gas content of every aspect of fuel – its production, distribution and combustion -- is taken into account. For example, the emissions from machinery harvesting corn, the trucks transporting the crop, the processing plants, the transport of the fuel, the burning in an engine – all would be considered. Also considered would be the emissions associated with fuel-crop production.

"The new standard means we can begin to break our century-old dependence on petroleum and provide California with greater energy security," Nichols said earlier. "The drive to force the market toward greater use of alternative fuels will be a boon to the state's economy and public health - it reduces air pollution, creates new jobs and continues California's leadership in the fight against global warming."
The regulation applies to California, but environmentalists and most ARB members believe the rule will prompt a corresponding rule at the federal level. The state rule – Gov. Schwarzenegger described it Thursday as a “first in the world” regulation -- requires the carbon component of fuels to be reduced by 10 percent during the next 11 years. The goal is to eliminate 16 million metric tons of carbon emissions from the air over the next decade

I think this bodes well for tomorrows vote on CA Hybrid and EV rebates.

When they post the video the highlights include a walk (field trip) to the street to see a Truck, Aptera, Vectrix, and Barefoot Quad all EVs. (I would just FF to the outdoor footage and watch from there.)

Speaking afterwards was Jay Friedlander of Plug in America, Aptera, Barefoot and Vectrix.