Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

caveat emptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like he is switching from bike parts to car parts...

New Carbon guy... - SmokinVette.com Forums
Fiberworks
New Carbon guy...

Hi. My name is Matt. Im from Chicago.

... im a big vette guy. i have a 02 z06. plenty of mods ill post about later. also some hand made carbon fiber pieces. i race mountain bikes to fill my need for speed. I make carbon fiber bike parts for a living. id love to get into making car parts.

08-09-2011, 06:40 PM

C5 Carbon fiber battery cover combo - SmokinVette.com Forums
...Hi my name is Matt. I have custom, hand made carbon fiber cover for the battery and the fuse box. high end clear coat and a rubber backing as a spark arester to keep your car safe. im asking $298.00 for the set. or $165.00 each Please feel free to email me at [email protected] for pics because i cant seem to add any. im new...

Last edited:
On a Toyota Tundra forum there was a guy calling himself Manny offering carbon fiber parts. I noticed that some of the images looked familiar to some I had seen related to Carbon One.

Carbon Fiber Interior - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

Particularly this image:
CF_Interior_04h.jpg
to Google image search and came up with the same images on several forums. Several different aliases, at least one being John Perez, and most ending with unhappy people.

the only service Spawn provides is taking $$$ and then giving you nothing in return.

Wow... where do I start. The power of the internet is great. keeps all the ducks in a row.

Ill start in the beginning. Years ago i worked at a auto body shop in Berwyn called Capitol Auto Body. Its back parking lot was connected to some houses. in one of the houses lived John Perez. He worked out of his garage on fiberglass parts and key hole plugs. Some time passed and john eventually got into carbon fiber. I, at that point, had a serious Job as a produce buyer with Brookhaven Marketplace. One day i was on the internet buying a part for my mountain bike and i had the notion that John Perez could make one for me. within a few days i had my part. looked nice and is still on my bike years later. fasts forward to about 11 months ago. I quit my full time job to chase a dream of running my own company. Im only in my late 20's but i have extensive business background and the time had come to move on. I left my cozzy $62,000/w full medical and dental to get a job with john in order to learn more about the composite industry. I know that there is a future in carbon composites. In fact in a few years when nanocarbon tubes becomes main streem it will really take off.
So there i was in Nappervill Illinois working in johns shop. I spent the next few months learning all i could on the internet, thru hands on at the shop, and a composite school in Ohio. While I was doing this, i watched john run his company. at first i tried to fix all his problems but things were declining much too fast. With no business background john was well over his head. I saw some good looking pieces leave that shop (and some rough ones) . I have one story after another about the day to day work that went on in that shop. but i will keep them private. John is by no means a bad person. in fact he has on of the kindest hearts i have ever met. He lived in a dirty shop with no guidance and with no money. i know many of you gave him money for parts but trust me, he didnt live anywhere near a good life. what you wont find on any of the forums is the real picture of john. He is too complex of a soul. and an all around great guy. that being said he sucks at running a business. Iv seen some of your parts get made 6-7 times and never make it out the door due to imperfections. Carbon Fiber is a very very very very hard material to work with. That dont show you that in the youtube vids. lol What other industry has been around since the 60's and held such a high coast of production over all these years? thats because its a hard dirty job. I know most of you by your orders and I felt bad watching from the side lines. I was simply a fly on the wall. Last i heard John is relocating far south and i wish him all the luck.

Now after leaving Johns company I spent some time in preparing my own launch. I formed my own composite company called FiberWorks. That name is NOT changing and I stand by my product. I am in no way am representing Carbon One and in no way is Corbon One representing me. We are both from the same part of the country but thats were the simularitys stops. I do not use any methods or chemical chemistry that might be found in Johns shop. I have analyzed the methods i have learned from many sources over the past few years and have come out with a great product. I have a like minded partner named Dan Parma who is also committed to the quality engineering and manufacturing of composites. Im asking you to please remove any indications from any forum that would suggest that Im an employee of Jonh Perez. Its simple not true.

Here is the final kicker. John never knew any of this until i typed this very thread you are reading. I didnt want to hurt his feelings. but i dont have a choice since my name was brought up. John wanted me as a partner but i could not offer that to him. My hope is that John and i will remain friends after this.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Doug... I edit my post for typos. If you think this is bizarre imagine how i feel. The last thing i wanted was to be affiliated with Carbon One. I ment a picture of john as a person. lol not an actual image picture. Im a stright shooter. im just telling you my side of the story. i havnt seen or talked to john in a while. As for your question, Im not able to explain Johns methods. like i said. I was just a fly on the wall.

Last edited:
The only concern i have now is that you are slandering my name in hopes of reveling some big truth. ...well the truth is what i already told you and i don't fell i should have to cover my ass.
I'm not slandering you; read my posts:

I noticed that this showed up over on the Fisker Buzz forum: Carbon Fiber
Since it sounded like a similar MO, we decided to look into it. Seems there is evidence of at least some relationship with Carbon One Industries.
Perhaps just a business partner, or maybe not event that. But it seemed a little fishy and worth bringing to the attention of others. Make of it what you will.

I suspected there was a least some kind of business relationship at some point in time. You have confirmed this.

Can you confirm that his real name is in fact John Perez and not Manny (a.k.a. muscleman, a.k.a. Spawn, , a.k.a. SpawnAero, a.k.a. SpanAeroJ, a.k.a. iKona, a.k.a. iKONA636, a.k.a. i-Kon-u, a.k.a. CarbonOne, a.k.a. ...)?

The only relationship i had was wet sanding some parts for a few weeks over the summer. I could confirm lots of things about john but that is not my place. however i can confirm my name is Matt Locaciato. I live in Cicero IL. my blood type is o and im a Taurus. Im sorry but i cant be of any help getting you any more information on John.

I hope you are able to see why any affiliation would look bad for my company. I did read your post and all im saying is that when a potential customers see the possibility of me being Carbon One, that might lead to problems with my partner, my investors, and myself.

Last edited:
Matt: it is excellent news that you are not not the same person, nor do you plan similar business practices.

But unfortunately for all involved, Carbon One has poisoned the well.

I think all who read this forum will be strongly advised against paying for any parts before they are delivered. If you run your business as strictly cash on delivery you may do very well.

If anyone decides to work with Matt, I'd be happy to send you the name of the courier that I used in Illinois to attempt to get parts from John. He has been helpful in sending emails regarding what is actually done (nothing, but you all knew that!) and other status reports.

So if there is a part you really want, I'd suggest paying for the courier (Tom clark, great guy) to go over and pick up the part and handle the transfer of of money. He then can ship it to you.

Obviously I've learned my lesson.

I will not be doing any Tesla parts in the foreseeable future. I hopped on this forum for the sole purpose of protecting my good name.

TEG, that is a new corvette roof. It's made of unidirectional prepreg carbon (new stuff) and we are putting front facing cameras in the roof that syncs with the heads up display. The pic is of the mold making process. it was a pic taken at our old shop/garage. Our new facility is currently getting a new roof so the move in date is late winter.

I appreciate all your guys support. It's funny because for some odd reason i have found electric car owners are the most friendly. it might been the green in their blood. i dunno

Ill stop by this forum from time to time to check up on things. Good luck to all with your parts. I Honestly hope it works out.

PS... hello to Steve, Carl, and Sam, who i had the privilege to meet in person.

Last edited:
Well after a buttering up like that I might give Matt a try. Only no cash up front. I order, see completed pictures with today's paper and then send money for part. Not a perfect solution but it eliminates some of the issues CO had.