Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cayman Islands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is used to discuss experiences and tips on driving your Tesla in the Cayman Islands. There are at least 20 Tesla vehicles on island as of 2021 with more arriving every month. Since the small island has no service center and no superchargers, this is a great place to ask questions and coordinate support.

The LTE connectivity on my new vehicle does not work. What has been your experience getting it to work on island?

I have asked Tesla support, via the app. They noted that, "[...] the vehicle is currently in a region that the sim card does not support [...] recommend replacing the sim card and send us a picture with the signed Firmware Waiver and Non-Tesla Sim Card Waiver, as well as the APN for your country and we can update that information to have the connectivity operating for you."

My concerns/questions:
- Do the Waivers void the warranty?
- Which local mobile provider? how much data will I need? There are no inexpensive data-only plans.
- Can Tesla enable the existing SIM card for roaming? All major US mobile providers work on roaming here

What happens if the car needs major repairs. Motor replacements/battery replacements. Car is disabled and won't move
Great question. Prior to the Pandemic, Tesla would occasionally send out a service "ranger" to the island to make repairs. I hear that these rangers are now coordinated out of Tesla Puerto Rico to cover the Caribbean. Secondly, if the car is disabled, traditional third-party tow and roadside service is available throughout the island. Additionally, there is at least one (that I know of) repair shop on island that is qualified to make all minor and most major repairs on Teslas. Finally, this is the third Tesla vehicle that I have owned; they are extremely reliable and none of my three vehicles has required any service or repair.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Are Tesla warranties valid in Cayman? and who services the Teslas?
Yes! I had a few recent conversations with Tesla Puerto Rico, which now covers the Caribbean geography. I have a non-working parking sensor on my Model Y that they will repair/replace under warranty. (They tried to remotely troubleshoot, but were unsuccessful.) Tesla occasionally send out a service "ranger" to the island to make repairs. This has, of course, been difficult with the pandemic. I also found an auto shop on island -- General Automotive -- which has experience servicing Teslas.

Note: I am NOT a Tesla representative, so none of this is official/policy. I am just an owner sharing experience.

Hi, has anyone have any experience replacing the 2 LCD screen. Both are showing bubbles and liquid behind the screen. Tesla knows about the issue but won’t do anything because we are in Cayman. Do you know where to buy replacements? And how to repair them or who?
Thanks

The LTE connectivity on my new vehicle does not work. What has been your experience getting it to work on island?

I have asked Tesla support, via the app. They noted that, "[...] the vehicle is currently in a region that the sim card does not support [...] recommend replacing the sim card and send us a picture with the signed Firmware Waiver and Non-Tesla Sim Card Waiver, as well as the APN for your country and we can update that information to have the connectivity operating for you."

My concerns/questions:
- Do the Waivers void the warranty?
- Which local mobile provider? how much data will I need? There are no inexpensive data-only plans.
- Can Tesla enable the existing SIM card for roaming? All major US mobile providers work on roaming here
Hi, did you get any answers to these questions?

Hi, did you get any answers to these questions?
I did not pursue this route. Instead, I have been using a phone with personal hotspot in the car. The latest Tesla software version (2021.24.5) has an option to "remain connected to Wi-Fi in Drive" which is helpful.

Note that even with connectivity, navigation and some streaming do not work. Maps work, but it will not provide directions/route to destinations since Cayman Islands is not a supported country. Spotify, some streaming apps, browser, and app remote access/monitoring do work fine.

With regard to my prior concerns:
- Do the Waivers void the warranty? UNKNOWN, but likely no.
- Which local mobile provider? how much data will I need? I have not tested, but assume that since maps are cached, app remote access is low-bandwidth, and music streaming is primary use, that 1GB/month should be more than sufficient for most. FLOW had some plans that are ~CI$20/month for 1GB, but rates vary.
- Can Tesla enable the existing SIM card for roaming? NO, they cannot.

I also learned that there are some mechanics on-island who are newly certified on Tesla Model 3/Y, who can now install a local SIM into the car for service. (unfortunately I cannot find their name). Please write back in this thread to share your experiences!

Expecting a MYLR to arrive on island in December. Very excited. A number of things I'm trying to plan for based on forum scouring from the southern US states, but would appreciate all thoughts:
- charging - looking at a nema port for the garage. Can't seem to get anyone to quote a price. Any recommendations?
- CUC - apparently has a special EV metered program with reduced rates. Anyone know the details?
- tinting and heat - reading this is an issue and tinting strongly recommended. Seems a no brainer given some quotes over the phone. Any recommendations or warnings?
- heat and leaving the car in the open long term (say airport for a week) ... Thinking don't bother and cab it or drive another car, but just curious of everyone's experience

Expecting a MYLR to arrive on island in December. Very excited. A number of things I'm trying to plan for based on forum scouring from the southern US states, but would appreciate all thoughts:
- charging - looking at a nema port for the garage. Can't seem to get anyone to quote a price. Any recommendations?
- CUC - apparently has a special EV metered program with reduced rates. Anyone know the details?
- tinting and heat - reading this is an issue and tinting strongly recommended. Seems a no brainer given some quotes over the phone. Any recommendations or warnings?
- heat and leaving the car in the open long term (say airport for a week) ... Thinking don't bother and cab it or drive another car, but just curious of everyone's experience
Congrats! A few thoughts/experiences below:
- I am in a new home and my builder installed an outdoor NEMA 14-50 outlet and circuit at my request. Cost was CI$500. If you go this route, make sure you request a NEMA plug adaptor to be delivered with you car (it is no longer included in the kit).
- CUC: I do not have preferred EV rates, but please share your experiences. I found only this via searching their site: EV Charging Service Application
- I do not have any additional tinting and keep my Model Y parked outdoors for extended periods. Via the app, I monitored the interior temperature, which would often rise to 125F during the day. I purchased a fitted windshield sun shade, which now keeps the temperature to about 105F -- I definitely recommend. I also purchased the Tesla outdoor full car cover, but have not used it yet.
- I spoke to Tesla and, for extended periods of inactivity, they highly recommend keeping the vehicle plugged in. I did this for a 30-day absence from the island and had no problems upon return. Probably best to do this, and take a taxi to airport rather than risking damage and battery drain from sentry mode and cooling.

Just found this CUC link, which has more information about EV rates/rebates. Looks like you may need to have a sub-meter installed in order to take advantage of preferred EV rates.

Congrats! A few thoughts/experiences below:
- I am in a new home and my builder installed an outdoor NEMA 14-50 outlet and circuit at my request. Cost was CI$500. If you go this route, make sure you request a NEMA plug adaptor to be delivered with you car (it is no longer included in the kit).
- CUC: I do not have preferred EV rates, but please share your experiences. I found only this via searching their site: EV Charging Service Application
- I do not have any additional tinting and keep my Model Y parked outdoors for extended periods. Via the app, I monitored the interior temperature, which would often rise to 125F during the day. I purchased a fitted windshield sun shade, which now keeps the temperature to about 105F -- I definitely recommend. I also purchased the Tesla outdoor full car cover, but have not used it yet.
- I spoke to Tesla and, for extended periods of inactivity, they highly recommend keeping the vehicle plugged in. I did this for a 30-day absence from the island and had no problems upon return. Probably best to do this, and take a taxi to airport rather than risking damage and battery drain from sentry mode and cooling.
Really appreciate the thoughts, thanks! Have a fitted shade on order already so good to hear your experience. I'll chat with CUC and find out the full situation, costs, etc and report back.

Delivery date moved up - expecting it in a couple of weeks in Miami. Have some logistics questions/clarifications I'm hoping someone can assist with:

- like most, I have Andy Barrett acting as agent, collecting the vehicle at coral gables and dropping with Seaboard at Port of Miami

- a lot of confusion about Title and/or MSO/MCO. I understand Title takes time - a month or more, because Tesla registers the car with FL DMV and the DMV then sends Original Title and plates to Tesla in CA, which then sends that to Andy to finalize export with US Customs.

- have learned that the MCO/MSO is actually acceptable to US Customs and that we don't actually need the Original Title.

- Does anyone have experience with this? Reading online, Tesla Coral Gables should have the MCO when it arrives with the car in their lot. Is this true? Just looking to cut down on the huge wait for Title which isn't actually necessary

- In Cayman - considering CICA or Miracle Brokers to help with customs and registration. Any concerns having a random person collecting from Seaboard (do they inspect car for damage in transit?) and driving to DVDL for registration and inspection?

- Anything else I'm overlooking?

Thx in advance!

Delivery date moved up - expecting it in a couple of weeks in Miami. Have some logistics questions/clarifications I'm hoping someone can assist with:

- like most, I have Andy Barrett acting as agent, collecting the vehicle at coral gables and dropping with Seaboard at Port of Miami

- a lot of confusion about Title and/or MSO/MCO. I understand Title takes time - a month or more, because Tesla registers the car with FL DMV and the DMV then sends Original Title and plates to Tesla in CA, which then sends that to Andy to finalize export with US Customs.

- have learned that the MCO/MSO is actually acceptable to US Customs and that we don't actually need the Original Title.

- Does anyone have experience with this? Reading online, Tesla Coral Gables should have the MCO when it arrives with the car in their lot. Is this true? Just looking to cut down on the huge wait for Title which isn't actually necessary

- In Cayman - considering CICA or Miracle Brokers to help with customs and registration. Any concerns having a random person collecting from Seaboard (do they inspect car for damage in transit?) and driving to DVDL for registration and inspection?

- Anything else I'm overlooking?

Thx in advance!

The end-to-end process for me was intimidating and opaque, and took much longer than expected. I also used Andy Barrett, in addition to Miami-based export broker DPR, and Stamar/Seaboard as shipper. All had worked together before and answered my questions along the way. I'll relay a few of my experiences here, which may address some of your questions:

- Payment was confusing, since the [temporary] registration address was changed to an unknown New Hampshire address by Tesla. I had to call Tesla Coral Gables a few times to learn that this was done for exports to simplify temporary tax/registration. I recommend calling them prior to delivery/payment to clarify that this vehicle is for export and should not have any state taxes collected.

** IMPORTANT - I recommend asking Tesla to replace the SIM card before delivery. The included SIM card only works in the US, and is difficult to replace (requires removal of entire dashboard). You may want to purchase a SIM from FLOW or Digicel and overnight it to Tesla Coral Gables to pre-install. This way, you will have the option of enabling data for maps/music/remote access in Cayman.

- DPR took delivery from Coral Gables Tesla on my behalf, inspected the vehicle (sent me photos), and at my request purchased and included a Tesla plug adaptor (accessory) that I needed. He worked with Andy Barrett to mark the vehicle window for Seaboard Marine and arrange flatbed tow to the port.

- My vehicle sat at the port for ~14 days while awaiting the title/MSO. Once received by DPR and delivered to Andy, the vehicle was confirmed to ship in ~9 days. (~23 days sitting at the port, after delivery from Tesla)

- You will need to arrange for auto insurance prior to the car's arrival in Cayman. Once the vehicle is shipped, you provide a copy of the export certificate, Bill of Lading, invoice, and title to the insurance company and start the policy. (Andy will provide these documents). The shipping broker will need a copy of the insurance policy before you can pick up the car. (Note that the vehicle is covered by the shipper's insurance (which you pay for in your shipping charges) for any damage to the car during shipment and until you take delivery).

- I engaged Stamar to help with Cayman DVDL registration, plates, and inspection of the vehicle. I highly recommend using a provider for this service, since the new car custody/process can be confusing. (e.g. pick up a car and drive it without plates? also, how do you obtain a Certificate of Roadworthiness?) I think I paid CI$360, which included the DVDL registration fees. Easily worth it. I, too, was concerned about someone random driving my new car, but it turned out fine.

- Despite paying thousands of dollars to ship my vehicle, upon pickup the vehicle was covered in soot/dirt and there was a broken wheel cover. Stamar should have reported the obvious wheel damage and really should have cleaned the car exterior before my pickup (even if they charged for it).

In summary, the process requires patience and trust, but your new Tesla will "soon come."

The end-to-end process for me was intimidating and opaque, and took much longer than expected. I also used Andy Barrett, in addition to Miami-based export broker DPR, and Stamar/Seaboard as shipper. All had worked together before and answered my questions along the way. I'll relay a few of my experiences here, which may address some of your questions:

- Payment was confusing, since the [temporary] registration address was changed to an unknown New Hampshire address by Tesla. I had to call Tesla Coral Gables a few times to learn that this was done for exports to simplify temporary tax/registration. I recommend calling them prior to delivery/payment to clarify that this vehicle is for export and should not have any state taxes collected.

** IMPORTANT - I recommend asking Tesla to replace the SIM card before delivery. The included SIM card only works in the US, and is difficult to replace (requires removal of entire dashboard). You may want to purchase a SIM from FLOW or Digicel and overnight it to Tesla Coral Gables to pre-install. This way, you will have the option of enabling data for maps/music/remote access in Cayman.

- DPR took delivery from Coral Gables Tesla on my behalf, inspected the vehicle (sent me photos), and at my request purchased and included a Tesla plug adaptor (accessory) that I needed. He worked with Andy Barrett to mark the vehicle window for Seaboard Marine and arrange flatbed tow to the port.

- My vehicle sat at the port for ~14 days while awaiting the title/MSO. Once received by DPR and delivered to Andy, the vehicle was confirmed to ship in ~9 days. (~23 days sitting at the port, after delivery from Tesla)

- You will need to arrange for auto insurance prior to the car's arrival in Cayman. Once the vehicle is shipped, you provide a copy of the export certificate, Bill of Lading, invoice, and title to the insurance company and start the policy. (Andy will provide these documents). The shipping broker will need a copy of the insurance policy before you can pick up the car. (Note that the vehicle is covered by the shipper's insurance (which you pay for in your shipping charges) for any damage to the car during shipment and until you take delivery).

- I engaged Stamar to help with Cayman DVDL registration, plates, and inspection of the vehicle. I highly recommend using a provider for this service, since the new car custody/process can be confusing. (e.g. pick up a car and drive it without plates? also, how do you obtain a Certificate of Roadworthiness?) I think I paid CI$360, which included the DVDL registration fees. Easily worth it. I, too, was concerned about someone random driving my new car, but it turned out fine.

- Despite paying thousands of dollars to ship my vehicle, upon pickup the vehicle was covered in soot/dirt and there was a broken wheel cover. Stamar should have reported the obvious wheel damage and really should have cleaned the car exterior before my pickup (even if they charged for it).

In summary, the process requires patience and trust, but your new Tesla will "soon come."
Thanks for this. Really appreciate it. I'll look DPR up - didn't realize you'd use anyone more than just Andy. Is it because DPR provides more service and Andy just handles the paperwork?

State tax questions are all over the place, but I'll call Coral Gables now that I've just received a series of delivery date options (though no request to pay yet) and see if I can get the state taxes eliminated.

I'll look into the SIM question and, assuming they agree, will courier one overnight. Thx for that.

Hi everyone,

I purchased a used Model 3 and it's having a few snags with climate control and proximity sensors (may be fixable in software or DIY fixable with parts.) What is the best contact to reach out to to get service? I've tried the Tesla site but it just keeps directing me to make a service appointment in Florida.

Hi everyone,

I purchased a used Model 3 and it's having a few snags with climate control and proximity sensors (may be fixable in software or DIY fixable with parts.) What is the best contact to reach out to to get service? I've tried the Tesla site but it just keeps directing me to make a service appointment in Florida.

Congrats on your M3! Tesla Puerto Rico covers the Caribbean geography. In order to get connected to them, I have had to schedule an appointment in Florida and put in my problem description/notes "Please forward request to Tesla Puerto Rico".

I, too, had a proximity sensor problem when my Model Y was delivered. Tesla was unsuccessful at remote troubleshooting and a local shop confirmed that it was malfunctioning and not just a loose connection. My wife purchased a replacement sensor in the US (~$100, about the size of a USB thumb drive), hand carried it to Cayman on her next trip, and then the local shop installed it.

Thanks for this. Really appreciate it. I'll look DPR up - didn't realize you'd use anyone more than just Andy. Is it because DPR provides more service and Andy just handles the paperwork?

State tax questions are all over the place, but I'll call Coral Gables now that I've just received a series of delivery date options (though no request to pay yet) and see if I can get the state taxes eliminated.

I'll look into the SIM question and, assuming they agree, will courier one overnight. Thx for that.

@Deerdo - Did you receive your vehicle? (I noticed a new red ModelY on island -- is that you?). Tell us about your shipping experience and if you have SIM card and home charging set up.

Hey folks, the beautiful red model Y running around is not mine, but looks amazing. I'm still navigating ongoing shipping woes. Car was purchased December 1 after a confusing couple of weeks. It was collected and taken to Port of Miami. Tesla agents back tracked on the MCO paper so I had to wait for the title reassignment paperwork from Tesla HQ, which didn't come until December 29 and required my signature on several documents, along with the bill of lading. Gave my agent new PoA to execute that documentation and it was promptly returned to Tesla. Tesla confirmed receipt and all was in order. Indicated DMV would be a 3-5 day turnaround (which a friend experienced mid December). Today (Monday, Jan 17) will be day 8... And the VIN is still not registered with the DMV.

The saga continues.