Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cayman Islands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats on your M3! Tesla Puerto Rico covers the Caribbean geography. In order to get connected to them, I have had to schedule an appointment in Florida and put in my problem description/notes "Please forward request to Tesla Puerto Rico".

I, too, had a proximity sensor problem when my Model Y was delivered. Tesla was unsuccessful at remote troubleshooting and a local shop confirmed that it was malfunctioning and not just a loose connection. My wife purchased a replacement sensor in the US (~$100, about the size of a USB thumb drive), hand carried it to Cayman on her next trip, and then the local shop installed it.
That's awesome, thank you. I've reached out to Jason and hope he can help.

I tried calling the Puerto Rico Tesla office but they haven't gotten back to me.

Would Puerto Rico be the office that can help with swapping the SIM card to get connectivity as well?

The LTE connectivity on my new vehicle does not work. What has been your experience getting it to work on island?

I have asked Tesla support, via the app. They noted that, "[...] the vehicle is currently in a region that the sim card does not support [...] recommend replacing the sim card and send us a picture with the signed Firmware Waiver and Non-Tesla Sim Card Waiver, as well as the APN for your country and we can update that information to have the connectivity operating for you."

My concerns/questions:
- Do the Waivers void the warranty?
- Which local mobile provider? how much data will I need? There are no inexpensive data-only plans.
- Can Tesla enable the existing SIM card for roaming? All major US mobile providers work on roaming here
Hi, You can get a 4G LTE SIM card from Digicel Cayman. If you go there and they are not helpful, ask for Donique.

I'm curious about the reliability of electric cars here. I have heard anecdotally that the salt air, heat and humitidy will cause the electronics to corrode and malfunction much earlier than in a less severe environment. Any truth/experience to that? Not sure if any of the service folks read this or only owners but it would be great if they did and could pass along their experience - and maybe the same for other manufacturers' EVs...

Hello fellow Tesla owners!

I recently brought in a Model 3 and was wondering about use of the Tesla app. I have been having some issues connecting - sometimes the app will not locate the vehicle even when parked at home. I spoke with Tesla and they said the app may not have full functionality outside of the US region.

After I re-install the app, the "last seen" will update. But sometimes I will be standing next to the vehicle and it won't pickup bluetooth to unlock the car. I resort to using the key card. However, I can start the car without placing the key card on the console. Strange.

I have been receiving updates fine, but just wondering if anyone else has any issues with the app?

Just posting an update: she's landed, she's in my possession, and hot damn, she's amazing. The stress and anxiety of the wait, the logistics and general frustration sucked. But the joy to drive and experience this thing was worth it all.

No panel gaps. No issues that I can detect of any kind. No damage in transport. Missing a key card, which sucks, but not the end of the world since my pixel phone connects flawlessly.

Thanks to the community for the information along the way!

Hello fellow Tesla owners!

I recently brought in a Model 3 and was wondering about use of the Tesla app. I have been having some issues connecting - sometimes the app will not locate the vehicle even when parked at home. I spoke with Tesla and they said the app may not have full functionality outside of the US region.

After I re-install the app, the "last seen" will update. But sometimes I will be standing next to the vehicle and it won't pickup bluetooth to unlock the car. I resort to using the key card. However, I can start the car without placing the key card on the console. Strange.

I have been receiving updates fine, but just wondering if anyone else has any issues with the app?
Greetings! I'm extremely new to these issues, so feeling my way around as well. But, I noticed that my vehicle wasn't connecting to my home WiFi reliably. Had to get creative with a second router as a slave extender. Going to look at a mesh system this year. Using your phone and a WiFi analyzer app, double check signal strength while sitting in the car?

Try a soft or hard reboot of the car?

Try reinstalling the app?

I'm also finding since the latest update that my car isn't staying connected to WiFi after prolonged sleep sessions. Seems to be a common complaint when 4G isn't involved. Looking at solutions. Keep you posted on what I find.

Hi Everyone, I am new to the island and just imported my Tesla Model S from Vancouver, Canada. It took around 2 months to arrive but it landed safe and sound last week and I am happy to help if anyone has questions about doing something similar.

I recently got a service warning and found the comment here about booking in service for Florida but then adding a note to say 'forward request to Tesla Puerto Rico' - so thank you for that. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Hi Everyone, I am new to the island and just imported my Tesla Model S from Vancouver, Canada. It took around 2 months to arrive but it landed safe and sound last week and I am happy to help if anyone has questions about doing something similar.

I recently got a service warning and found the comment here about booking in service for Florida but then adding a note to say 'forward request to Tesla Puerto Rico' - so thank you for that. I will let everyone know how it goes.
Florida cancelled my service request, and nobody reached out. I have called Tesla Puerto Rico several times but it is a switchboard solely in spanish. Has anyone here found a reliable contact number for a Tesla Caribbean service team?

Hey Tim, we've been routinely hearing that Tesla only provides Caribbean service through Puerto Rico ... But everyone's experience has mirrored yours. Unless you can get your car there, they're not willing to help (right now).

General Automotive on island is apparently equipped to do EV (and Tesla specifically) maintenance and repairs. Maybe give them a buzz and get a quote?

Great question. Prior to the Pandemic, Tesla would occasionally send out a service "ranger" to the island to make repairs. I hear that these rangers are now coordinated out of Tesla Puerto Rico to cover the Caribbean. Secondly, if the car is disabled, traditional third-party tow and roadside service is available throughout the island. Additionally, there is at least one (that I know of) repair shop on island that is qualified to make all minor and most major repairs on Teslas. Finally, this is the third Tesla vehicle that I have owned; they are extremely reliable and none of my three vehicles has required any service or repair.
Hi there. Wondering if I can get a recommendation for a body shop that services Teslas on the island. I recently drove over a high curb and damaged the right side rocker panel plastic cover on a Model 3. Trying to figure out how to order the part...much appreciated.

Hello everyone, I am looking at getting a Model 3 in the near future. How does one go about QC or quality checking the car at delivery if another person (other than yourself) will be taking the car down to the Port of Miami?
Welcome! Unless you're willing to fly up on short notice, or willing to find and pay a third party service (I couldn't find one, though they use to exist apparently), it's a bit of a roll of the dice. From what I've seen, read and experienced first hand, the QC issues are overblown.

Great question. Prior to the Pandemic, Tesla would occasionally send out a service "ranger" to the island to make repairs. I hear that these rangers are now coordinated out of Tesla Puerto Rico to cover the Caribbean. Secondly, if the car is disabled, traditional third-party tow and roadside service is available throughout the island. Additionally, there is at least one (that I know of) repair shop on island that is qualified to make all minor and most major repairs on Teslas. Finally, this is the third Tesla vehicle that I have owned; they are extremely reliable and none of my three vehicles has required any service or repair.
@CaymanJoshua - who is the repair shop on island that you know of? Is this General Automotive or someone else? I need an estimate for some door damage and not sure who to use.

@CaymanJoshua - who is the repair shop on island that you know of? Is this General Automotive or someone else? I need an estimate for some door damage and not sure who to use.

I have use two repair shops on island, though neither for real body work.
  • General Automotive, to remove bumper and troubleshoot/install a parking sensor.
  • Performance Automotive, to remove dashboard and install Digicel SIM card.
With regard to the Tesla "Ranger" visiting the island, I have not heard of any activity recently. I am not sure if they still do this, however, it might be worth asking Tesla to do this directly now that pandemic restrictions are gone. Possibly ask in this thread who else needs service, and gather a list of vehicles they could service if coming to the island.

I have use two repair shops on island, though neither for real body work.
  • General Automotive, to remove bumper and troubleshoot/install a parking sensor.
  • Performance Automotive, to remove dashboard and install Digicel SIM card.
With regard to the Tesla "Ranger" visiting the island, I have not heard of any activity recently. I am not sure if they still do this, however, it might be worth asking Tesla to do this directly now that pandemic restrictions are gone. Possibly ask in this thread who else needs service, and gather a list of vehicles they could service if coming to the island.
Hi! Did the sim swap work for you? A hotspot with dedicated phone just is not practical. I hear maps won't work - what other features worked for you?

Hi! Did the sim swap work for you? A hotspot with dedicated phone just is not practical. I hear maps won't work - what other features worked for you?
Yes! I've had great success with the SIM installation. I purchased a Digicel SIM card and had Performance Automotive install it. I then called Tesla with the SIM information and set up an appointment where they asked me to connect my car to WiFi so they could remote log into the car and configure the car for the new SIM. (see form they required to be signed, in advance of the appointment).

I use the pre-paid service, data-only, which I renew each month. The data plans are not ideal, but they work: 1GB/week for CI$12.50 or 3GB/month for CI$30. I am planning to email Digicel to ask them to create a data plan that is better suited to car SIMs, perhaps 1GB/month for CI$15? 1 GB per month is more than enough for typical usage.

All streaming apps work, including Spotify, Apple Music, and the video streaming (YouTube, Disney+, etc). Remote monitoring of the vehicle works, including charging status, security and remote camera monitoring, and my favorite CI feature: turning on climate to cool the car before I arrive. Maps and live traffic work, however navigation (i.e. routing to destination) does *not* work. Since routing does not work in CI, auto-pilot features will not work.