Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS adapter for AC charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Tesla inlet (NACS), the two adapters, CCS1 and J1772, are mutually exclusive. The NACS port uses the two main pins for both AC and DC charging. The adapters route the appropriate pins (AC or DC) to those main pins. If one wanted to make a unified adapter that was like a real CCS inlet on a vehicle, it would have to have active switching built in. The static routing of pins in separate adapters is way simpler and way cheaper.

It does not necessarily need to be automated switching. The dumb adapter can have a switch that you flip - like a circuit breaker transfer switch. But I guess for equipment longevity and dummy-proof, two separate adapter is probably better.

Oh, looky here! My guess is that there is no switching. When CCS is attached, the AC pins are covered by the CCS plug. When J-1772 is attached, the DC PINS would probably be energized but protected by the cap. Great way to thin the human her by identifying winners of the Darwin awards. ;)

$220 with a $50 off coupon, so $170.

Last edited:
Oh, looky here! My guess is that there is no switching. The DC PINS would have AC power but protected by the cap.

$220 with a $50 off coupon, so $170.
Complete violation of the protocols. It's not allowed to have both sets of pins energized at the same time and only protected by a flimsy cover that doesn't even ensure it is always closed when AC is going through (from the description that is the only thing that protects it, there is no switching inside). That's why no legit company will release this, but I guess these Chinese manufacturers will do anything.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Complete violation of the protocols. It's not allowed to have both sets of pins energized at the same time and only protected by a flimsy cover that doesn't even ensure it is always closed when AC is going through (from the description that is the only thing that protects it, there is no switching inside). That's why no legit company will release this, but I guess these Chinese manufacturers will do anything.

So I guess Tesla is a Chinese manufacturer. Doesn't SuC charging violate established 'standards' and instead rely on temperature sensors to ensure charge cable and plug safety? Doesn't SuC sites have insufficient incoming power to allow all stations to run at full power? That must violate some safety standard somewhere. LOL

I do not know if there is some kind of mechanical disconnect that disconnects the DC pins when J-1772 is inserted. Would be great if someone with sufficiently high IQ gets one and give us a review.

• Disagree
So I guess Tesla is a Chinese manufacturer. Doesn't SuC charging violate established 'standards' and instead rely on temperature sensors to ensure charge cable and plug safety?
Neither of those violate protocols. The power ratings on cables are based on insulation temperatures and as long the cable is kept under it, it's fair game. That's why you see all kinds of liquid cooled cables, which CCS chargers use too to allow smaller conductors to pass more current.
Doesn't SuC sites have insufficient incoming power to allow all stations to run at full power? That must violate some safety standard somewhere. LOL
No it doesn't, power splitting is what everyone is doing now. It makes zero sense to let charging resources go to waste when cars naturally ramp down.

What I am saying is no legit company will make a CCS adapter where both sets of AC and DC pins are just connected without a way to prevent energized exposed pins to just be out there.

Tesla certainly doesn't! That's why the AC and DC adapters are separate products in the first place!
I do not know if there is some kind of mechanical disconnect that disconnects the DC pins when J-1772 is inserted. Would be great if someone with sufficiently high IQ gets one and give us a review.
The description says outright the only thing that protects from this situation is the cover, nothing else (note the misspellings and poor translation is not my typo, I just copied it straight from the product page):
"[Warming Tips]:if chargeguard valve is damaged or missing do not use with j1772 charging connector only use with ccs1 charging stations.when charaing at j1772 station,ensure the chargeguard valve is securely closed to avoidthe risk of electrical leakage."