Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a 2023 with a home ccs level 2 charger [correction - J1772]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of getting a 2023 rwd, have a level 2 ccs home charger 30 amp, does Tesla offer an adapter and if so is it plug and play or does hardware/software needed to be added to the car.

Sharing a picture of your charger at home would help people advise you on what you might need to do to connect to it. If your location is actually whats under your name (as in, somewhere in the US), then your home charger is probably not CCS.

Thinking of getting a 2023 rwd, have a level 2 ccs home charger 30 amp, does Tesla offer an adapter and if so is it plug and play or does hardware/software needed to be added to the car.
Come on guys, let's not give what is almost certainly incorrect information to this guy.

To the OP: You don't have a CCS charger, it is a J-1772 charger. Every Tesla vehicle comes with a J1772 adapter (looks like this https://shop.tesla.com/product/sae-j1772-charging-adapter). So yes, you can use your 30A J1772 charger just fine with your Tesla.

CCS is an acronym for Combined Charging Standard and it is a bigger plug that has both J-1772 pins and two bigger DC current pins for charging at high power DC fast charging stations.

More info than you ever wanted to know about charging an EV: CarCharging.us

As stated above, a level 2 (240V AC) non-Tesla charger will come with a J-1772 plug and your Tesla will come with a J1772 adapter. You plug the J1772-> Tesla adapter into the J1772 plug and then touch your car's charging port cover, which will then open, and plug the adapter into your Tesla. Within a few seconds the car will begin charging at the amp limit of the charger or the amp limit set in the car. No additional software or firmware is needed. You will have to use the Tesla cellphone app or the touchscreen in the car to stop the charge and release the adapter.

You can continue to use your L2 charger as before, but you should purchase a portable L2 charger (the (TMC) Tesla Mobile charger is a good choice) and another J1772 adapter and keep it in your car at all times, for charging when away from home, as the TMC is now an optional accessory.

As stated above, a level 2 (240V AC) non-Tesla charger will come with a J-1772 plug and your Tesla will come with a J1772 adapter. You plug the J1772-> Tesla adapter into the J1772 plug and then touch your car's charging port cover, which will then open, and plug the adapter into your Tesla. Within a few seconds the car will begin charging at the amp limit of the charger or the amp limit set in the car. No additional software or firmware is needed. You will have to use the Tesla cellphone app or the touchscreen in the car to stop the charge and release the adapter.

You can continue to use your L2 charger as before, but you should purchase a portable L2 charger (the (TMC) Tesla Mobile charger is a good choice) and another J1772 adapter and keep it in your car at all times, for charging when away from home, as the TMC is now an optional accessory.
The portable Mobile Connector is very much an optional accessory these days. With Superchargers all over the place, charging on the road is pretty easy.

This is probably what you are looking for : https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter . Though if it’s an L2 charger are you sure it’s not a J-1772 plug? Typically CCS are only for DC fast charging as they have the extra pins. If it is a J-1772 then every Tesla comes with an adapter for that.
You are right, my bad, it is a level 2 J-1772 plug with Bosch charger. It puts out 30 amps so 7.5kwh. I was thinking of fast chargers. So I could just attach the adapter to the J-1772 plug with no software addition. Thinking about getting one in inventory, was thinking about waiting on the new model but probably get a 2023.

The portable Mobile Connector is very much an optional accessory these days. With Superchargers all over the place, charging on the road is pretty easy.
When I visit friends and relatives in rural areas an L1/L2 charger comes in real handy, especially for charging overnight. Ditto for charging at an RV campground in rural parts of North America. Many hotel/motels have 120v outlets or L2 J1772 chargers available and having my TMC and adapter in the car has saved me a lot of time whilst on the road.

I also keep a CCS1 adapter in the car at all times and use that quite regularly on road trips. The last time I used it was to charge the car at a 50kw CCS1 charger in Medicine Hat AB that was conveniently located near the restaurant where we had dinner. My comments on Plugshare:

“Activated very quickly using my Chargepoint RFID card. Got a steady 45kw for most of the charge. A bit pricy considering that it's .37cents/minute but a very convenient location.”

We spent over an hour having dinner and the car charged to 100%. On the same trip we stayed at a B&B in Osoyoos that had a NEMA 14-50 outlet available for EV charging and got there with ~10% SOC and we left the next morning with another full charge.

Reactions: Eric33432
So I could just attach the adapter to the J-1772 plug with no software addition.
Correct. It should look like this:

1691014492748.png

Note that there have been at least two slightly different designs of this adapter. The difference is on the collar:

Functionally, they are the same. It adapts the J1772 handle to the NACS port. What matters is if you wish to use a locking ring on the adapter. Said locking ring prevents the J1772 handle from being removed from the adapter while charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joesmoe3
You are right, my bad, it is a level 2 J-1772 plug with Bosch charger. It puts out 30 amps so 7.5kwh. I was thinking of fast chargers. So I could just attach the adapter to the J-1772 plug with no software addition. Thinking about getting one in inventory, was thinking about waiting on the new model but probably get a 2023.

(moderator note)

I added a bit of context to the thread title since you confirmed its J1772. I didnt just replace ccs with j1172 in the thread title as it would have made a lot of replies seem very out of context.

I just brought home our new baby today - starting from infancy learning about how everything works. At ‘Delivery’ - I suppose they assumed I knew everything (I needed to know) and as they were busy I didn’t ask any questions.
So reading this thread, made me go out and see if this car had the original adapter, and sure enough, there was a black bag in the back that looked as though it had never been used. There was the adapter, I fitted to my charger and plugged in. A little light turned blue. Cold out, went back inside and saw the app was defaulted to 80% limit. I tried changing that, and a message popped up, “No, really, we mean 80% is better for the battery HINT”. I left it there, and clicked “start charging”. The app reports “40/40A” and “240V” and “38 mi/hr”. According to my meter, the charger is pulling just under 10K, call it 9,950W. We have time of use rate with Dominion Energy, and in “winter” [01 October - 31 May] peak is weekdays 0700 - 1100 and 1700 - 2100; all other times are off peak, plus five named holidays. We installed Tesla Roof with two Powerwalls a couple of years ago and that keeps our draw to zero during peak.

Question: is there any advantage to the $450 Tesla charger over an existing, working, J-1772 40A charger with the adapter ?
I've been charging both of my cars from J1772 for years. No issues. I don't think either of my cars has ever charged on a Tesla level 2 charger.

Someone commented above that you have to use the phone app to stop charging and unlock the charge port. That's incorrect. You can stop charging by momentarily clicking the button on the J1772 handle. Charging will stop and the port will unlock. Just make sure to release the button before trying to pull the handle so you don't pull the handle away from the adapter.

Reactions: Joesmoe3
Or you can use the two-handed method of pressing the J1772 button while holding the adapter in your other hand and pulling them out together. What you're trying to avoid is leaving the adapter behind. If that happens, the door tries to close on it and it'll be locked to the car. Nice for keeping it from being stolen when at a public charger, less great in your garage.

I keep my adapter on the J1772 handle all the time. I bought a second one to carry in the car.

I'm not able to reconcile your statement that it is a 30a EVSE with the reported 40a charging rate. You may want to make sure that your EVSE is configured properly for your circuit. A 30a circuit can handle 24a charging, a 40a circuit can handle 32a charging and a 50a circuit can handle 40a charging. Now it's possible, even likely, that it was your old car that charged at a max of 30a and everything is fine, but it's worth being sure.