Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen that a CCS adapter has been made for European Model S and X.
Will we ever see a CCS adapter for the american version of the model 3 S and X?
There are more and more CCS, and egoistically speaking one of them will be installed in my company parking lot with all the advantages that cn bring.

BUMP -

Any new news re a US version of the CCS adapter becoming available?
F02AB064-1962-48D0-9993-B725F86C0655.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I found an adapter for North American CCS to Tesla, the model SET-S4-T1 from Setec Power. Based on the specs, it should be capable of charging from an Electrify America CCS plug at 72kW to 80kW.
The web page for the adapter is at CCS Adapter | SETEC POWER. I don't know of anyone who has tried this in North America, so this may or may not be a working product. Has anyone in Tesla Motors Club tried this adapter in North America?
This adapter should work in North America and South Korea.

I found an adapter for North American CCS to Tesla, the model SET-S4-T1 from Setec Power. Based on the specs, it should be capable of charging from an Electrify America CCS plug at 72kW to 80kW.
The web page for the adapter is at CCS Adapter | SETEC POWER. I don't know of anyone who has tried this in North America, so this may or may not be a working product. Has anyone in Tesla Motors Club tried this adapter in North America?

I saw that one on Reddit last night. It looks good, but we know it's a lot more expensive than the Tesla offering once it becomes available. I'm sure we will see that one in the US soon, so I'm holding out.

"$660 Only"......

I saw that one on Reddit last night. It looks good, but we know it's a lot more expensive than the Tesla offering once it becomes available. I'm sure we will see that one in the US soon, so I'm holding out.

Nice to have the ability but I'd walk home before charging at EA - EA says, I am because you spanked me, but have you seen my prices, to misquote, he who spanks last...

Yeah, $660 is a bit steep. Guessing they have yet to achieve any economies of scale. I might pay Tesla $400 or even $500, but an unknown vendor from South Korea? No. I do appreciate their efforts though. Still hoping Tesla will begin selling one next year at that sub $400 price point.

Actually the adapter is being made in China, and they've been around for a while. Maybe not a big big player but they do have some background. Shenzhen Setec Power Co., Ltd. - EV charger,pure sine wave inverter

Also keep in mind that this isn't a passive adapter, as there has to be something that can talk and understand CCS, like the chademo adapter. Then of course they are taking a risk here and they don't have full scale yet, so I'm not surprised that the price is higher than the chademo; they have to make a profit and recoup R&D costs.

• Informative
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I can't help but wonder what the reason is that Tesla is dragging their feet on this one. It's not like CCS came out of no where or something. Of course, it's entirely possible that they're following the Apple Business Model and trying to keep EVERYTHING vertically integrated...ie they don't want their customers (and potential future customers) to be using those Electrify America stations or others like them in favor of the Supercharger system. But, as a counterpoint, while the Supercharger network is pretty widespread at this point, it's not all encompassing and building an adapter for what is becoming the dominant alternative plug-type in the US will only help alleviate the concerns of the ICE vehicle driving public.....which can translate into more potential customers turning into actual customers. Having that adapter only helps them. It also prevents Tesla from having to shoulder the entire burden of building out the Electric Car Fast Charging Infrastructure for their customers.

Of course....given that they're already shipping CCS equipped vehicles to Europe, etc....part of me wonders if they're not creating an adapter because they intend to change over to CCS themselves? Though....that would leave an awful lot of people requiring a refit. It would also require a whole lot of superchargers to have their cables refit....unless there's a V4 Supercharger that's already in the works and they're planning to start replacing older stations anyway?

Then, of course, there's the new CHAdeMO V3 protocol (aka the ChaoJi project) out there now as well....and slated to go into use in both Japan and China for their domestic markets. They're saying that it'll provide 500kW to 900kW of charging power. That's some serious charging capability.

I suppose it's also possible that Tesla is trying to out-compete CCS as well. Though if that's the case you would think they would be more willing to license their connector technology. To-date, Tesla has only licensed their connectors for use by another company 1 single time (EVgo...and they probably got bent over to get the license). So if that's their plan, they're going about it in a funny way. But if they were able to get other car companies to license the technology and multiple charging station companies....then they might have a chance of winning the standard wars (VHS vs BetaMax, BluRay vs HD DVD, Sony Memory Stick vs Compact Flash/SD Cards/Etc, Sony MiniDisc vs CDs, LaserDisc vs DVD, IBM Compatible vs Apple, Firewire vs USB). There's never been a case where a single company was able to establish a standard all by themselves (ask Sony....they've tried and failed 3 times that I can recall, even though in some cases it was the better standard)....so I can't think that Tesla feels they'd be more successful based on the history.

So all in all...it's a weird situation.

Reactions: chinney