Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS1 Adaptor Proximity Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody having proximity error while using CCS1 adapter? I just recently bought a Hanshow CCS adapter and sometimes I was not able to charge because of proximity error.
20230204_131146.jpg

I vaguely recall seeing that reported in some YouTube charging videos, but that may or may not have been with a passive CCS1-to-NACS adapter. "Proximity" likely refers to the "proximity pilot" pin, which is one of the data pins in J1772 and CCS1. (See the Wikipedia page on J1772 for a bit more detail.) I'm not an expert, but my take is that an error like this could indicate a damaged plug, a damaged/defective adapter, an improper attachment between the two, or perhaps even a problem on the Tesla's NACS socket. If you see this at just one or two CCS1 stalls, then I'd chalk it up to the plug at that stall. If you see it infrequently, even if at multiple sites, then it could be you're just not fully attaching the CCS1 plug into the adapter. If it occurs frequently at many CCS1 stalls but not at J1772 stations or Tesla (Level 2 or Supercharger) sites, then you may have a defective/damaged adapter, although you should consider the possibility that you're not fully inserting the plug. If you have problems charging even with Tesla equipment (including Tesla's J1772 adapter), then your car's charge port might be defective or damaged. (Of course, Tesla's equipment won't report an error like this; you'd just get a red blinking light on the charge port.) At least, that's my take on the matter. Somebody else might have other thoughts.