Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console: Shell vs. Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a wrap on my wife’s M3 2 years ago and it looks and holds up great. It is tricky to install and I needed to replace one section but was at no cost due to a goof proof guarantee. (Trick : Put the sheets in the fridge or freezer before installation. It makes then stiffer and easier to handle)
I did a plastic carbon fiber shell on my MY console and dash. It was definite easier but be sure you align it properly.
Both require patience and a bit of skill. Go with the product that gives you the look you prefer.

I installed both on my Model Y. First the shell then the wrap.

I think the shell can be fine...it just depends on what finish you are trying to use. I wanted the carbon fiber look, and the shell carbon fiber looks AWFUL. Nothing like carbon fiber. Has no texture like carbon fiber and doesn't look like it either.

3M carbon fiber vinyl looks and feels great. Yes, it took a bit longer to do than the shell, but like...25 minutes more. Most of the vinyl is easy to apply...its just the final vinyl around the cupholders which is the pain. Even then, not that bad and I think mine looks great for DIY install.

I had installed both on my Model Y as well - first with the shell and then with the wrap.

They both have their pros/cons, and ultimately would depend on the look you are trying to go for, and how you maintain your car.

The shell is overall easier to apply, and it is a lot more scratch resistant than the wrap. However, it does not “wrap/tuck” around the edges of the original console trim like the wrap would, so you can see a bit of the original black trim around the edges. In addition, the shell looks a bit like cheap plastic after a while and eventually I opted to try the wrap. I am overall happy with switching to the wrap, as I feel it looks more “clean” and blends in with the car more. However it’s ultimately a sticker film, so it will be more prone to scratches compared to the shell.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I did the the matte black shell and pretty happy with it. No issues getting it line up and it did wrap around the front/back edges and the cup holder edge but not the sides. I can see the carbon fiber being more of an issue. The one thing you can do is wrap the matte shell with a better looking carbon fiber material. Would make installation a little easier as you can wrap the pieces outside the car and then just apply it. I may try that if I ever get tired of the look.

I've tried and shell and vinyl and the shell is a much easier install.

I'm looking for a matte carbon fiber shell (real carbon fiber not the printed pattern) WITHOUT the key card cutout but having a hard time finding someone who sells that. Everyone is selling the same version with the keycard cutout.

I installed both on my Model Y. First the shell then the wrap.

I think the shell can be fine...it just depends on what finish you are trying to use. I wanted the carbon fiber look, and the shell carbon fiber looks AWFUL. Nothing like carbon fiber. Has no texture like carbon fiber and doesn't look like it either.

3M carbon fiber vinyl looks and feels great. Yes, it took a bit longer to do than the shell, but like...25 minutes more. Most of the vinyl is easy to apply...its just the final vinyl around the cupholders which is the pain. Even then, not that bad and I think mine looks great for DIY install.

Here’s a real carbon shell that’s available:

Model 3 & Y Center Console Molded Carbon Fiber Cover Gen. 2 - From $ 199

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I installed white carbon fiber wrap not realizing a shell was an option. It didn't take too long, but you do have to go slow and work out the bubbles along the way, turned out looking pretty nice, but one thing it made me notice was how the panels don't quite line up exactly, which is a small annoyance...but was more annoying having fingerprints on the piano black!
7F09DDD5-.jpg
12851FCA-.jpg

I probably would have tried a shell this time as wrapped my 3 myself using a kit and it took 2 attempts(Brushed Steel). However at the time no one really had a pattern I was interested in. I'm pretty bored with the faux carbon fiber, didn't want a solid color or anything glossy. So ended up wrapping my Y myself as well (also took two attempts) but I'm happy with it (matrix black this time)