Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Screen Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20170805_155057.jpg 20170805_155644.jpg 20170805_155630.jpg Had the car just about 15 days. Today after various activities, I noticed something unusual. My drivers door opened when I was nowhere near it, nor did I press the fob. At first I thought I had been close enough, but realized later I had walked right up to the trunk, then the passenger FWD. When I got in the driver's seat and stepped on the brake the door did not close. That is when I noticed the central screen looked funky. I could see the drivers door close button, but several presses resulted in nothing happened that I could discern. Stepped on the brake again and still nothing. I think I did hear some weird sounds. Closed the door manually and that is when the issue with the center screen became obvious. It looked monochromatic, and washed out. The top and bottom icons were almost impossible to see. The graphics looked low rez.

Tried a scroll wheel reset...no luck. Tried a dash reset and then a scroll wheel reset. No dice. DrI've around to see what was what. No improvement. Did scroll wheel reset again. Nothing. Got into settings and turned off the power. Still messed up. Backup camera not visible. Nav map impossible to see. Music screen visible but just looks low resolution and limited colors. Energy screen looks messed up.

Finally called Tesla. No joy. They had me redo everything I already did, i.e. scroll wheel reset (said I needed to hold it longer until the T symbol showed...that did not work, as the symbol never came up and screen just rebooted to where it was) and power down for two minutes. Was told there was nothing else they could do, and the SC would call in 24-48 hours. Anyone encountered this before? Would hate to have the dash torn apart to replace the screen at 15 days and 432 miles in the car...posting some images. These are color photos20170805_155057.jpg 20170805_155644.jpg 20170805_155630.jpg !20170805_155057.jpg 20170805_155644.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and cwerdna
Could be the MCU (master control unit they call it). It controls most of the car behind center screen (i.e. Tegra 3 CPU and additional board logic).

Had mine replaced and they did a fine job. Was also a bit hesitant as they have to pull dash off. Turns out ok though, no additional noises in the cabin so hopefully the same if its done. The SC should diagnose it and know what to do.

• Informative
Reactions: DarrenK