Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating on top of PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought Halo from Gtechniq. It's flexible coating just for PPF. I am wondering how long you've had your coating on. Do you apply a booster meant for the coating. I am also wondering about the longevity of the coating as compared to the PPF. I think the PPF will last longer than the coating. If that is true, can you apply a second coating on top of the old.
I've only had my coating on for like 3 weeks so not long at all. There's a 10 year warranty with this installer so I have to imagine it'll last a very long time. It chemically bonds and it's less a coating and more of an infusion as I'm told. That's what makes it so slick, the ceramic compounds fill in the gaps/voids in the PPF or body paint.

Price will change depending on region - I'm in Ohio which I think is likely middle market.

I spent just under 8k as a package deal but that included Xpel Matte PPF (over black MY - looks spectacular and is a major head turner), 2 coats minimum of ceramic on all surfaces including wheels windows body etc (both ppf and ceramic come with 10 year no questions asked warranty), minor paint correction and all around Xpel XR tint (no roof).
Thank you for that. Enjoy your Y.

Reactions: dagug
JonB65, it's been almost a year. How is the ceramic holding up on top of PPF? Are you using a ceramic boost? How do expect to handle the ceramic when it wears out before the PPF?

Seems to be holding up quite nicely. I am WAY overdue for a wash, but last week I was in Alabama at my niece's house. It is pollen season there. Before I began my trip home I took her hose and just sprayed the car off. Water really beaded up like crazy, so the coating is still there and working well. I didn't wash the car there, just took a couple clean shop rags and wiped it off. I was happy. Perhaps my favorite part of the PPF saga is how clean my 20" Induction wheels seem to stay. Very easy to clean too.

I went with the Gyeon ceramic (I forget which one) but to be clear, I am in no way an expert on this! I also use the Gyeon Top Coat after washing once a month. (It's been a while since I've done this. I may get to it tomorrow.)

I'm happy with what I did.

Why wouldn't they like PPF? It protects the car from damage aka saves them money. Seems odd. Anyways, I don't think PPF factors in one way or the other when it comes to insurance in the US. I don't think it factors in much either when it comes to resale other than the fact my paint will be nicer 5-10 years down the line vs the next guy who doesn't have it. Probably not 8k nicer but I plan to keep the car for life so it's more for my peace of mind.
I can only answer with what I have read re PPF and insurance: If you have a collision (God forbid) rather than a minor fender bender, the PPF will also be damaged, its removal will add to labour cost and its replacement is a further additional cost.

Insurers, again hearsay on my part, are maybe accepting PPF cars but with an increase in premium or accepting to insure with but all and any PPF costs excluded from future claim settlements.

What I would like to know is the effect on a third party claim - obviously, any accident that the august members of this forum have, will be caused by the other driver- so, here's the rub,
if my own insurer has excluded PPF from cover,
would the third party insurer be legally bound to pay either?

PS Motor insurers are still getting their sh1t together around EVs in general ( they see problems rather than opportunities ) with to be fair, notable exceptions) and will be holding a wet finger aloft, thinking of a number and doubling it for the premium.

Of course, the competitive spirit will kick in - may have already. However, with the current EDD changes, I shall stay clear of online quoting engines for a while because, to use the phrase which seems to sum up acceptance of things over which we have little influence : " It is what it is"