Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

chademo/ccs charging issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need a link or info on a part that makes the connection between the Tesla charger and the CCS adapter secure so someone can’t disconnect you
It's normally not important to get pedantic about the terminology used, but in this case, it matters to figure out what piece of equipment you are talking about to give a relevant answer.

When you say "the Tesla charger", what are you referring to? The word "charger" accurately means the onboard charger that is contained inside the car, but that's the part that is used for converting AC to DC energy to then feed into the battery. That is bypassed when direct DC charging, like using CCS, so that's not relevant. And Tesla doesn't make a CCS external charging station, so there is no Tesla CCS charger, like there are Tesla Superchargers. So what do you mean?

Do you mean like from the handle of a CCS station to the Tesla adapter? Like if you go to a Chargepoint or Electrify America CCS station, and you want to know about how that plug handle locks to the Tesla adapter? Or do you mean how the adapter locks to the car's charging port? Those are the only two connection points I can think of.

I'm guessing he's talking about the connections between the charge port, the Tesla CCS1 adapter, and the CCS handle... In that case, the Tesla will lock to the CCS1 adapter, like it does with any tesla connector... The Tesla CCS1 adapter, has a spring loaded metal pin, that is depressed when you insert it into the charge port of your car. When this pin is depressed, it will prevent the CCS handle from unlocking from the CCS1 adapter, because it will physically block the unlock button from being depressed on the CCS handle.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm guessing he's talking about the connections between the charge port, the Tesla CCS1 adapter, and the CCS handle... In that case, the Tesla will lock to the CCS1 adapter, like it does with any tesla connector... The Tesla CCS1 adapter, has a spring loaded metal pin, that is depressed when you insert it into the charge port of your car. When this pin is depressed, it will prevent the CCS handle from unlocking from the CCS1 adapter, because it will physically block the unlock button from being depressed on the CCS handle.
Yes! I didnt know there was a change so that now someone can’t disconnect you when you are a a CCS charge station. There was a report that someone disconnected them from the adapter, ending their charging session. Good to here this is no longer possible.

Reactions: SteelClouds
How so? Yes, I’m a bit paranoid…..
Around here most of the EA chargers are set up like this.. two cords. #1 and #2.. one LCD panel but lanes on both sides. So what I saw happen is a car was pulled into the left lane and use #1 cord but the screen is facing the right side. A car came in later and tried to use #2 and since the screen faces them, assumed it was THEIR screen.. in the their defense, unless you know these chargers, you would think it's yours. In the process of trying to use #2 cord, they disconnected the session for #1 but still could not use the #2 cord because it was plugged in and locked to the first car. I'm told its pretty common with new EA charger users.

In the picture you can see me plugged into the charger but the screen faces away from my car. Its very easy to see someone pulling into the next slow and trying to use the 2nd cord on that station

Attachments

• IMG_4853.jpeg
    IMG_4853.jpeg
    544.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Prairie