Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHADMEO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s what service said

Attachments

• 6F42DB29-433A-49FB-800D-EBD3910EFD55.jpeg
    6F42DB29-433A-49FB-800D-EBD3910EFD55.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 143

Archived from Tesla's own website circa 2019 where it specifically states Model 3 compatibility:

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

Archived from Tesla's own website circa 2019 where it specifically states Model 3 compatibility:
Do you know why r states

Do you know tesla now states on their website it’s only compatible with the S/x?

Do you know why r states

Do you know tesla now states on their website it’s only compatible with the S/x?

It isn't on Tesla's website anymore. I believe they have discontinued sales in North America of the adapter. I only see it on Tesla Australia where it does state that it is not compatible with the 3 or Y. But a whole other market / continent, so I wouldn't consider that applicable.

Initially, Model 3 was NOT CHAdeMO capable. There was a software update released somewhere around mid-2019 that enabled use of the CHAdeMO adapter. Since then, as far as I know, CHAdeMO support has been provided for the Model 3. I've not heard anything changing about this. I last charged my 2018 LR RWD 11 days ago using my CHAdeMO adapter. My car is running 2022.12.3.2.

What I have noticed with the CHAdeMO adapter is that some stations are sensitive to the way you connect things up. What I'm doing now seems to work wherever I go:
  • Plug the CHAdeMO adapter into the car's charge port
  • Plug the CHAdeMO handle into the adapter
  • Start the charge session
If you are connecting the CHAdeMO handle to the adapter and then plugging the adapter into the car, try the method above and see if it makes a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yeah, a few things I remember off the top of my head. As @RayK mentioned, originally when the Model 3 came out in North America, the existing CHAdeMO adapters didn't work, and it was quite a while later that they did a software update to the cars that enabled it to work.

I don't think the European CHAdeMO adapters ever worked on the 3 and Y. I don't know why.

I did see rumor in some other thread that a very recent software update broke compatibility with the CHAdeMO adapters for no good reason. So the service person may be correct about how it is now, but this would be really really dumb for them to break it like this after it has worked for the last few years.

No real answer but I tried a Setec CCS adapter a couple of days ago…and it worked fine. As I understand it…that adapter presents itself to the vehicle as a CHAdeMO adapter…so if that is correct, it seems to still be working as of then (2022.24.8).