Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll contribute towards 1,500 some more. This is self inflicted loss of customer trust. Tesla has plenty to spare, but what a waste. As time goes by, and I consider Tesla's statement about this always being the plan the more I am convinced they only intended to put Alcantara in employee cars. Some previous owners got it. Great for employees. Shitty for 30% of customers who cared Bad for Tesla's brand.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Have they done something for those people who’ve put down the non refundable deposit and got the cloth. I’m in this bot but haven’t heard anything.

Not a thing. Not even a cup or a verbal apology for changing the headliner and not notifying me. However they did agree to refund the $3500 prepaid for the car ($1k when the reservation was made plus the $2.5k paid at the time I configured).

Alcantaragate used to be a hot issue for me. However, now that my reservation estimate has been pushed to the end of 2018 it seems like a much smaller thing to me now. I’ve got another whole year practically before I get my car. Who knows what else will change in that time. I guess the upside is that it'll be like I'm getting a second year production car so some 1st year model production bugs/problems will be ironed out by then as well.

• Informative
Reactions: stayfocus18
They don't want another lawsuit which is exactly what they would have.
Genuine question: on what grounds? The order document is pretty specific about the deposit being non-refundable after the car goes to production. They are exercising an out which you can request of them: "We may also cancel your order and refund your deposit if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order." The order agreement is otherwise pretty clear that the non-refundable portion of the deposit is to recover some of their expenses.

Genuine question: on what grounds? The order document is pretty specific about the deposit being non-refundable after the car goes to production. They are exercising an out which you can request of them: "We may also cancel your order and refund your deposit if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order." The order agreement is otherwise pretty clear that the non-refundable portion of the deposit is to recover some of their expenses.

Filing a complaint is easy. Anyone can do it including an attorney seeking to get certified as a class. Returning the $2500 is cheaper than having to respond tot he complaint even if it gets dismissed at SJ.

Reactions: davidc18
Random thought:

What if Ultra-Suede was the "special something" for line-waiters?

Did existing owners who reserved on 3/31/2016 and got Model 3 get the Ultra-suede, but owners who reserved after 3/31/2016 did not?

If so, one could hope that they re-introduce the Ultra-suede for the "other line waiters" (people who also waited in line, but haven't owned a Tesla before.)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Random thought:

Did existing owners who reserved on 3/31/2016 and got Model 3 get the Ultra-suede, but owners who reserved after 3/31/2016 did not?

If so, one could hope that they re-introduce the Ultra-suede for the "other line waiters" (people who also waited in line, but haven't owned a Tesla before.)
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

Random thought:

Nope

2B9B3FE7-080E-49E6-946E-5014989C124D.jpeg
Sorry, but I just had to do it.

I belive Tesla showing the Model 3 with Alcantara is part of what most reasonable people consider Tesla's offer to be. The same would apply if Tesla showed a car with 4 wheels in all of their media, and tried to deliver cars with 3 wheels.

Offer and acceptance - Wikipedia

If Tesla doesn't deliver what they offered without getting explicit consent from a customer that the changes are OK, then I'm pretty sure they have invalidated the contract and have to return the deposit. Switching to premium textile isn't as obvious as my wheel example, but I think the idea is the same.

Reactions: davidc18
Status
Not open for further replies.