Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've had my S for over 2yrs now. I was picking it up from service. But better late than never, right? Anyway, I talked to a couple of people regarding the Alcantara issue. One person explained to me that they had a supplier that stopped talking to them (Tesla) after about 2,000 vehicles. So this is the material they are putting in the car now.

I have confirmed through another person there that I do have the Alcantara and when I pressed him to show me a 3 with the new interior, he walked me up to the car that was Supercharging and showed me through the window. When I peered through the rear window you can clearly see some type of weave pattern in the material. Was hoping I was able to take a picture from inside the car but didn't find a 3 with an owner nearby. I guess Tesla has strict policy against letting other people in other people's car.

This car had VIN 3xxx. I guess now I should feel lucky that I got a lower VIN.
It seems like a very sneaky move on Tesla’s part. I don’t like that.

If the new "planned" switch to textile is still considered "premium" according to Tesla, what will Tesla put in the base models without the $5K PUP option that we're paying extra for to get "premium materials throughout"? If you use that language to sell/justify the option, you can't very well give it for free on the base model, right? Wouldn't that make the PUP description inaccurate? Is there really another material choice that Tesla would use that is less premium? I don't see it and feel Tesla has themselves in a marketing conundrum.

Reactions: MauryDann
If the new "planned" switch to textile is still considered "premium" according to Tesla, what will Tesla put in the base models without the $5K PUP option that we're paying extra for to get "premium materials throughout"? If you use that language to sell/justify the option, you can't very well give it for free on the base model, right? Wouldn't that make the PUP description inaccurate? Is there really another material choice that Tesla would use that is less premium? I don't see it and feel Tesla has themselves in a marketing conundrum.

I think it's going to be quite interesting to see how this plays out. I suspect, as you do, that Tesla isn't going to have a "Less premium" headliner material for the non-PUP vehicles. And this will definitely put them in a marketing conundrum.

Does Tesla say what the premium material is made of? If not, then as long as the non PUP cars have a lower grade headliner they haven't been dishonest. They change stuff from time to time as needed.

PS, because I don't want to read 45 pages. Does the PUP description specifically say premium headliner? If not, then this whole thing is just a bunch of crying. They need to get to 5k a week and if they have supplier issues then they gotta do what they gotta do.

Same cloth headliner as my Infiniti, it doesn't prove anythingView attachment 273300
My daughters new Infiniti has faux suede headliner and pillars with two tone Nappa leather seats and dash, think they call the suede Dynamica or something along that line. Very rich looking interior and one of the reasons we bought the car. Interiors sell cars

Reactions: MauryDann
Does Tesla say what the premium material is made of? If not, then as long as the non PUP cars have a lower grade headliner they haven't been dishonest. They change stuff from time to time as needed.

PS, because I don't want to read 45 pages. Does the PUP description specifically say premium headliner? If not, then this whole thing is just a bunch of crying. They need to get to 5k a week and if they have supplier issues then they gotta do what they gotta do.

I believe that the verbiage is "Premium materials throughout"

I've asked a few times, but haven't gotten a reply.. Does anyone know how much a 3rd party would charge to reupholster the headliner and pillars in Alcantara? I want to know for 2 reasons:
  1. If I am insistent on getting the Alcantara that I was expecting, how much more will it cost me?
  2. What was the implied value baked in the PUP since it was introduced
If you went to buy the Alcantara (or knock off) by the yard, how much more would it be than the new "premium" cloth? I suspect significantly more....

I've asked a few times, but haven't gotten a reply.. Does anyone know how much a 3rd party would charge to reupholster the headliner and pillars in Alcantara? I want to know for 2 reasons:
  1. If I am insistent on getting the Alcantara that I was expecting, how much more will it cost me?
  2. What was the implied value baked in the PUP since it was introduced
If you went to buy the Alcantara (or knock off) by the yard, how much more would it be than the new "premium" cloth? I suspect significantly more....

I've actually read this entire thread (I know, I'm nuts), and one gentleman said that he was planning on getting aftermarket Alcantara, and was quoted $1K. He seemed to feel it was well worth it. Im not sure where he was located.

It's important to note that Tesla's high performance is mostly restricted to 0-60 launches and limited numbers of those at that. That's why Tesla doesn't do Nurburgring tests, at least not that the publicize. As a matter of fact, publications who've taken model s's on track have had very poor results due to overheating. Most sports car owners use many more metrics besides the simple 0-60 launch times in order to determine the performance level of their cars. It's a bit facile to pretend that teslas smoke all the competition, especially in the $250,000 realm that you were discussing.

Most people who buy the "performance" versions of cars don't actually drive them competitively (whether that be at a track, drag strip, or the 'ring). For most of these vehicles, the only time they're called upon to "perform" is in a proxy for a dick measuring contest such as launching from a stoplight, or overtaking a car then cutting them off, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I wish I could afford a Performance model Tesla. And I'd probably never take it to a track. But I would drive it through twisty roads now and then... and it's nice to know you can.

But just because it can't win a race at the 'ring doesn't mean anything. Almost nobody actually races their cars, and especially not the more expensive cars. And almost nobody is really driving for any length of time on the Autobahn at excessive speed because there's always a construction zone, or a wreck, or traffic, or not actually in the unlimited speed section of the Autobahn and are limited to more or less normal speeds.

Reactions: Canuck
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Canuck
I am sure their will be changes to the S too and we will get another 50 threads with everyone crying about fabric, its not like this stuff is Gabardine Wool... its synthetic fabric..
Crying? Everyone gets to voice their opinion.....no matter what.

That's what the forum is about. Are you suggesting that everyone should agree with your opinion and that's it? Just wondering.

Why does it matter how many pages there are?

I suspect, since the "premium materials throughout" is so vague, that what we see now for the headliner is the same as base (only different in the glass roof vs non-glass roof aspect). PUP including "throughout" doesn't mean base can't have "some", so I think we're more likely to see the same textile on the headliner in non-PUP, but also in the doors where the alcantara still is (for now?), etc. Plastic dash instead of the "wood pore" (which honestly I'm not a huge fan of, but I would probably prefer over a plastic dash).

In other words, PUP gives you "premium" "everywhere" in the car, where non-PUP doesn't. Doesn't preclude some "premium" in the non-PUP, just not everywhere. Which means they can put base model materials in the PUP as long as they call it "premium", and while they might be stretching the truth awful hard, they might just barely skirt by legally with regards to misleading advertising...

Honestly, if we still get synth suede on the doors and any other touch-heavy areas, I'll put up with the textile headliner, but I won't like it. I do wish it was available in other colors. I'm really not happy about the potential for having to try to clean the textile...

I am sure their will be changes to the S too and we will get another 50 threads with everyone crying about fabric, its not like this stuff is Gabardine Wool... its synthetic fabric..

Just as I clicked that link, my wife walked over and looked over my shoulder and was wondering why I'm looking at a Neiman Marcus female's wool coat for $1,400 -- and her birthday is next month... I tried to tell her the Tesla forum lead me there but now you put ideas in her head!

Status
Not open for further replies.