Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change order, go to the back of the line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Initial order of MY LR FSD in Sept 2019 in white. Sent an email two days ago to see if I could change the color without causing a big delay, lost my patience waiting for the answer after a couple of days. Changed from white to blue and of course thanks Karma, just received the email telling me that if I change the color it is considered now as a new order?!
I’d understand a delay but being treated as a new order is totally unfair in my opinion when I paid for the reservation fees 7 months ago and therefore supported Tesla’s endeavor earlier than someone who just ordered yesterday. My car is car is not even produced yet...

So, when I put in my order for a MY, I did not have the option to go through my referral code (when I tried, only options were MS, MX & M3). I did anyways and thought; I will mend it later, maybe have it done by. Tesla CS at time of delivery.
Then I read that such a thing cannot be done after order is entered. this way I loose 3000 Km (Im in Canada) free charge and chances of winning a Tesla.
In my eyes, this is very bad on Tesla, especially towards a return customer (MX owner). What do you think?

Can you post the exact email you received? Wording is everything when it comes to Tesla. Are you sure they didn't mean the pricing will be at the new order rate?

Having said that, not sure it matters too much. There are people receiving they MYP cars having ordered them in January/February so your mileage may vary.

So, when I put in my order for a MY, I did not have the option to go through my referral code (when I tried, only options were MS, MX & M3). I did anyways and thought; I will mend it later, maybe have it done by. Tesla CS at time of delivery.
Then I read that such a thing cannot be done after order is entered. this way I loose 3000 Km (Im in Canada) free charge and chances of winning a Tesla.
In my eyes, this is very bad on Tesla, especially towards a return customer (MX owner). What do you think?

I would call and ask them if they'll add it. As a repeat customer it's worth a shot.

I think this line stuff is a myth. You’re in a disorganized line with no teller at the window so it really doesn’t matter. What does is what combinations they will produce first and where you are. FSD will allow you to cut in front of those that didn’t. The only orderly line Tesla ever had was the one people stood in to reserve the M3.

Reactions: XY2B
First email
You are welcome to make changes to your vehicle, but please bear in mind:

1. You would be subject to new pricing for the whole vehicle if you make any changes. If the price has not changed since you ordered, this wouldn’t affect you

2. It would have a time effect – you effectively move to the back of the line (its looked at as a new order), so your order would indeed be delayed – for how long? Hard to say with certainty

Second email after I complained along the line of my original post

I understand – the good news is, it likely wouldn’t delay you too much as by the time Model Y starts delivering in Canada production is likely to be far more ramped up than it is today.

So in other words, Canada won’t have anything before this summer and now with the covid-19 probably fall or later...

Can you post the exact email you received? Wording is everything when it comes to Tesla. Are you sure they didn't mean the pricing will be at the new order rate?

Having said that, not sure it matters too much. There are people receiving they MYP cars having ordered them in January/February so your mileage may vary.
Replied at the end of this thread and included the emails