Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes in Tesla's Autopilot Team... again...!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jim Keller, who was responsible for Autopilot software and infotainment is leaving.

Karpathy is taking over the whole responsibility of the Autopilot program. Seeing how things have evolved since Karpathy's arrival, this is probably rather good news.

No mention of who will take care of infotainment. Will this change bring improvements/updates to the infotainment system? It looks kind of dated now, and seems to be plagued with old recurring bugs.

Tesla’s VP of Autopilot and chip guru Jim Keller is leaving, another former Apple chip designer is tapped

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
They really seem to be in trouble, don't they?

Already sold this feature to people. Sales people telling potential buyers it will be in a few months, while Musk's most optimistic predictions are 2+ years away.

Considering how long it took Google to get to limited FSD with a much better sensor suite and only in a limited area, it's not really that surprising that Tesla is finding it to be harder than Musk thought.

Jim Keller, who was responsible for Autopilot software and infotainment is leaving.

Karpathy is taking over the whole responsibility of the Autopilot program. Seeing how things have evolved since Karpathy's arrival, this is probably rather good news.

No mention of who will take care of infotainment. Will this change bring improvements/updates to the infotainment system? It looks kind of dated now, and seems to be plagued with old recurring bugs.

Tesla’s VP of Autopilot and chip guru Jim Keller is leaving, another former Apple chip designer is tapped

There was someone in charge of infotainment? :eek:

Was there a recent update? I’m picking up my M3 in one week so looking for a huge, game changing update before I get it! :D
For me, the game changing update already occurred with 10.4; its so good now. I have .16 now and it’s great. Its why you don’t hear people beefing about parity with AP1 as much now. That being said, the speed limit sign reading and adjacent lanes is the missing link currently, along with AP1s better lane change availability... AP2 still nannies me as to when I can change lanes more often. That being said, small potatoes.... I drive everywhere on AP.... that highway only stuff is hogwash.... maybe for supercruise.... I will use AP in a crowded drive through lot if I can.... stop lights.... it let’s me know when the car in front of me is moving so I can stop typing on TMC :/)

That being said, the speed limit sign reading and adjacent lanes is the missing link currently
This is a mystery to me...

I drove a Toyota Yaris this week. Its one of the lowest priced Toyotas sold in Switzerland. The thing has a camera that reads speed signs and it works every time! By the way, the entertainment system was fast, stable and intuitive. It doesn't have an integrated SIM but it uses your phone to access the Internet. It has several apps and Bluetooth was flawless.

Mystery...

During Q/A today, Elon said Pete Bannon is actually the lead for chip design not Jim Keller.
This is a mystery to me...

I drove a Toyota Yaris this week. Its one of the lowest priced Toyotas sold in Switzerland. The thing has a camera that reads speed signs and it works every time! By the way, the entertainment system was fast, stable and intuitive. It doesn't have an integrated SIM but it uses your phone to access the Internet. It has several apps and Bluetooth was flawless.

Mystery...
Tesla does so much with the tech that it's a hard comparison to make but I get the frustration. The more I go through life, the more I value dedicated platforms that do one thing really well.... parsimony is the devil's work.

I don't think it's a mystery that the nearly 100 years old 5th largest company in the world with 364k employees and recently produced their 200 millionth car does some things better than the 15 year old company with 37k employees that recently made their 300 thousandth car. There are Ferrari's, Mercedes, Porsches, Cadillacs, Chevies, Volkswagens, Hondas, and Hyundai's that don't do what that Yaris does.

Building cars and car companies might be a little harder than you think...

I don't think it's a mystery that the nearly 100 years old 5th largest company in the world with 364k employees and recently produced their 200 millionth car does some things better than the 15 year old company with 37k employees that recently made their 300 thousandth car. There are Ferrari's, Mercedes, Porsches, Cadillacs, Chevies, Volkswagens, Hondas, and Hyundai's that don't do what that Yaris does.

Building cars and car companies might be a little harder than you think...
To quote the president, "nobody knew it would be so complicated"

• Funny
Reactions: R.S and skitown