Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Delivery to CA (Tax Rebates)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if we can change our delivery to another state?
And then more specifically, CA offers some tax rebates for EV. Would I be able to claim those rebates if I ultimately took delivery in CA and registered the car in CA, even if I initially bought it and ordered delivery to another state?

• Vehicles may not be purchased, leased, or delivered out of state.

Note: You can get a $2000 rebate in California for a new EV, but it would take several months to receive the check and there are annual income limitations.

Waitlist in effect for applications received on or after April 23, 2021​
Funding has been approved for the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP).​
However, we anticipate that it could take several months to receive the funding.​
Until funding is secured, we will maintain the waitlist. Additional updates will be provided here as they become known.​
Qualified applicants on the rebate waitlist will receive payment when the project receives more funding from the State of California.​
Applicants on the CVRP rebate waitlist understand and agree that an application​
placed on waitlist may be subject to new terms and conditions and new CVRP​
Implementation Manual requirements when funding is approved.​
As a result, there is no guarantee that you will be eligible for a rebate.​

California has a 9.25% sale taxes (7.25% state and 2% county) and DMV registration fees are like 1% year, so you have to paid about 10% in taxes for a new car.

Maryland new car sales taxes are 6%

So it it worthwile: To get the California rebate, you need to have your car delivered in California, and keep the registration for 30 months.
Also you will have to drive or ship to Maryland, however you paid $1,200 transportation fees anyway.

You could certainly keep your California license in Maryland but you should check with your insurrance, which might be lower there...
At least, because you have an EV, you are dispensed to go back every two year to get your California smog test !!!

Last edited: