Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing registration details on order... delays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I just put in an order for a Model S. I'm going to be moving after ordering, but before I take delivery. Perhaps notably, I will not be changing my pickup location (New Jersey for no sales tax).

I'd like to get insight on whether I should put in my registration details for this current address/state, then change it once I'm at the new place OR wait 2 months to put in any registration information when I'm at the new place so no changes need to be made. Which way would most likely result in the least delays, you think?

It's been a week of not putting in any info and my estimated delivery date already changed from Oct-Dec to Jan-Mar.

Most states you move into will charge their value tax on the car when you register. If you paid the Sales Tax or Road Use Tax in your old state, you can offset the amount charged by the new state by that much, so taxes may not make a difference. Not changing your pickup location may be best in not delaying your pickup -- but who knows how flexible Tesla ordering process is on these things.

Most states you move into will charge their value tax on the car when you register. If you paid the Sales Tax or Road Use Tax in your old state, you can offset the amount charged by the new state by that much, so taxes may not make a difference. Not changing your pickup location may be best in not delaying your pickup -- but who knows how flexible Tesla ordering process is on these things.
Hm, interesting. It seems you're implying the sales tax is based on the state that I reside in, like traditional car purchases? In the rest of my online research I've seen that Tesla does sales tax based on the state the vehicle is purchased in, not the state it is registered to. New Jersey is the closest state to me with no sales tax on this purchase, hence why I want to pick it up there.

Of course, it all depends on the two states' laws. I picked my car up in Ohio, and it had a temporary registration, tag, and no taxes. 3 weeks later, I received the paperwork from Tesla in California to title and register car in KY, and paty new car sales tax where I live, called road use tax. YMMV.

If I had paid Ohio taxes, KY would credit me up to that amount on my KY taxes.

Of course, it all depends on the two states' laws. I picked my car up in Ohio, and it had a temporary registration, tag, and no taxes. 3 weeks later, I received the paperwork from Tesla in California to title and register car in KY, and paty new car sales tax where I live, called road use tax. YMMV.

If I had paid Ohio taxes, KY would credit me up to that amount on my KY taxes.
Ah, road use tax. Gotcha, I was thinking sales tax.

Ah, road use tax. Gotcha, I was thinking sales tax.
In KY, it is the same rate as sales tax, and there is no sakes tax on vehicles. They call it road use tax. You get credit for the taxes you pay in another state, whether it is called road use, sales, vat, or any other tax on the purchase price of the vehicle. When I imported a vehicle, they credited the US import tax.