Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S order changed from MSM to Stealth Grey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time post and long time lurker. I placed an order Oct 16 for a MSP in MSM. EDD of Oct 5-Dec 10th. I just got a renewed confirmation changing my color to Stealth Grey.

I’m hoping that it’s not too different from MSM. I planned on going with a matte PPF. I looked at pictures of the Highland with stealth grey and it looks darker and maybe metallic.

Maybe they’re starting their 2024 VINs as to why the color update.

Same here. Ordered 10/21.

Sawyer Merritt posted photos on Twitter:

1698373299664.png

• Informative
Reactions: MXing
First time post and long time lurker. I placed an order Oct 16 for a MSP in MSM. EDD of Oct 5-Dec 10th. I just got a renewed confirmation changing my color to Stealth Grey.

I’m hoping that it’s not too different from MSM. I planned on going with a matte PPF. I looked at pictures of the Highland with stealth grey and it looks darker and maybe metallic.

Did your EDD change?

One of the tesla youtubers speculates that SG is simply another coat or two of MSM...hence the darker coloration. And by similar token...ultra red may be just more coatings of the previous red.

I tend to believe this theory because paint shop is one of the most expensive parts of car manufacturing and given Tesla cost conscientious measures...there's very little to 0% chance that they introduce brand new colors that needs big costs to the paint shop vs just coating it some more and giving a new name due to the change in coloration...

One of the tesla youtubers speculates that SG is simply another coat or two of MSM...hence the darker coloration. And by similar token...ultra red may be just more coatings of the previous red.

I tend to believe this theory because paint shop is one of the most expensive parts of car manufacturing and given Tesla cost conscientious measures...there's very little to 0% chance that they introduce brand new colors that needs big costs to the paint shop vs just coating it some more and giving a new name due to the change in coloration...
Seems like multiple coats would be far more expensive than simply changing the color.

Reactions: brkaus and aerodyne