Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing the "Wheel Configuration" in the MCU - for aftermarket wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I just put a set of aftermarket wheels on my car (pics in the aftermarket wheels pics thread forthcoming) and once I got up to speed on the freeway the first time I got the "new wheels detected" alert - probably due to the new TPMS sensor recognition. Anyway, the new wheels are still 21" diameter like stock, and front tires are still 245/35 (like stock) but the rear tires are 285/30 (10.5" wide rear wheels), which are slightly shorter than the stock 265/35 - but nearly identical diameter/circumference as the front tires (245/35). Which makes me wonder... would there be any benefit to setting my wheel configuration to being the 21" non-staggered instead of the current/factory 21" staggered? Since I assume the 21" non-staggered setup is 245/35 all around... Might there be any benefit to front/rear torque distribution characteristics or anything else? :man-shruggung:

I'm inclined to leave it as-is, but if someone knows better, holla!

Thanks,

Brian

I'd think you'd want to run a non-staggered setup as the overall diameter is virtually identical (1 mm difference) and the revs per mile is the same. wheel-size.com has a great little calculator if you're wondering about tires/wheel sizes/fitment

upload_2020-4-28_22-46-20.png

Thanks @MassPlay - I used a different wheel/tire size calculator, but also arrived at the same answer (that my rear tires are now far closer to the circumference of the non-staggered setup than staggered). I just didn't know if there was any real benefit to making the change in the wheel configuration - road speed, torque vectoring calculations, air suspension height calibration, ... ? Because outer tire circumference might not be the only consideration. Like, my rear tires are now 40mm wider than the fronts (and the rears in a non-staggered setup) so there will be more grip in back than before. So if the car's computer allocates more torque to the rear wheels for acceleration performance if it thinks there's more rubber back there, I'd definitely want it to do that (because there is more rubber back there). See what I mean? Just one example I can think of.

I'm probably overthinking it. Haha. At any rate, in the meantime I'm just going to leave it as-is (stock/staggered). Hardly driving anywhere these days anyway...

Brian