Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First there was "Range Anxiety". The expending charging network has reduced that significantly.

Now there's "Charge Anxiety". Your Tesla is plugged into a SuperCharger. You're eating at a restaurant several blocks away. The service is slow. The clock is ticking. Still no food. Finally the food arrives. The $.40/per minute clock starts running in ten minutes. What to do?

Go into the restroom. Look into the mirror. Take a good long hard look. Is this really how you saw your life going, twenty years ago? Yes. Yes it was. Driving the future. Take a deep breath. March confidently back out to the restaurant, and ask the server if you can get the meal to go, as you have things to do and places to be. Ask for a plastic spork on the way out.

Increase your charge limit to 100% to gain more time to eat?

Ask for your meal to be boxed up and eat it in the car?

Ask for your meal to be held in the kitchen while you go out and unplug your car? (If you need more charge, plug it back in after you eat)

Just pay the idle fee and enjoy your meal? (it is going to a good cause anyway)

GSP

Last edited:
First there was "Range Anxiety". The expending charging network has reduced that significantly.

Now there's "Charge Anxiety". Your Tesla is plugged into a SuperCharger. You're eating at a restaurant several blocks away. The service is slow. The clock is ticking. Still no food. Finally the food arrives. The $.40/per minute clock starts running in ten minutes. What to do?
keep eating

I'd find it hard not to feel a little rushed. And where's that bill already! It's costing me $24/hour to wait. And people are waiting for my charging spot.
A Spc user should be more aware of the car's SOC and how long that it would take to reach the desired level. after a few moments the car or the phone app would give the driver an estimate of when the car would be charged to the selected level, knowing that the driver would need only a 20 minute charge someone might consider waiting with the car rather than beginning a lengthy meal.
it appears the .40 time charges is having the desired impact on SpC users

To clarify in my questionable "joke" about needing to get back to the car in 25 minutes: I probably should have implied 25 minutes "left" (not total time). An hour can go by very quickly, even at a coffee shop, when you have to wait for a table, kids are involved, and the service is slow.

I think the point is that you shouldn't be sitting down to a table service restaurant when you are parked at a SC.
SC is fast.
Fast food is fast.
Restaurants are slow. Park in a regular spot and enjoy your meal.

Reactions: jgs
I don't have my car yet, but I thought everyone was supposed to be mindful about charging. Since this are for charging, not parking, threfore one should not be too far from the car (whether it is distance, or your ability to leave from where you are) when the charge is nearing completion... IMHO.
You are right.
However, not everyone is considerate... hence the overtime parking fee.

The $.40/per minute clock starts running in ten minutes. What to do?

Clutch my pearls, tell the waiter that I've been taken by the vapors, and ask for a brown paper bag.
Breathe in and out deeply.

main-qimg-96e62a1b44613ef40814310839e25a88-c.jpg

Once my hysteria is over, realize that 40 cents a minute is $6 for 15 minutes.

Then I'll look around and realize how amazing my life has been that a few dollar charge has reduced me to abject terror.

I will then calmly make the decision best for me. Perhaps I'll stay and pay $6... or perhaps I'll excuse myself like a gentlewoman and go get my parked car out of the charging stall.

After all, I am a lady.