Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge By Solar Not Showing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my solar and Powerwall 3 installed 1.5 weeks ago, and am waiting to get Charge on Solar to work. From what I've read, it's only available AFTER PTO.

One question for those of you using this feature: if you set your car to charge at, say 48A, will the software automatically reduce the charging rate based on available excess energy generated by solar?

For example, if I'm only producing an excess of 5kW, will the software know to reduce my vehicle's charging rate from 48A to 5A?
Yes, you are correct that you will only see the Charge on Solar after you get your PTO. Then, it's pretty cool after that. Yes, it will auto reduce the kwh using for charging based on solar availability.

Reactions: Koolio46 and Jones1
Just got my solar and Powerwall 3 installed 1.5 weeks ago, and am waiting to get Charge on Solar to work. From what I've read, it's only available AFTER PTO.

One question for those of you using this feature: if you set your car to charge at, say 48A, will the software automatically reduce the charging rate based on available excess energy generated by solar?

For example, if I'm only producing an excess of 5kW, will the software know to reduce my vehicle's charging rate from 48A to 5A?
Yes. It will adjust. If you go from 12kW to like 5kW it will drop the amps.
Also. You can get in touch with Tesla. They can just turn it on. Not sure about PTO. But even after you get PTO. You may have to contact Tesla to push the software.

I have called Tesla or messaged Tesla.
To turn on many features.
Charge by Solar
Powerwall Vehicle charging feature
Grid Charging.
They can do it instantly.
I have sent them emails. Later they respond. With a Try it now. Or a we have push you a software update.

Reactions: Koolio46
Yes. It will adjust. If you go from 12kW to like 5kW it will drop the amps.
Also. You can get in touch with Tesla. They can just turn it on. Not sure about PTO. But even after you get PTO. You may have to contact Tesla to push the software.

I have called Tesla or messaged Tesla.
To turn on many features.
Charge by Solar
Powerwall Vehicle charging feature
Grid Charging.
They can do it instantly.
I have sent them emails. Later they respond. With a Try it now. Or a we have push you a software update.
I may try asking them to turn it on again before I get PTO.

It doesn't make sense that I need PTO for Charge on Solar to appear. You'd think it'd be available before PTO since it would help absorb excess energy from the panels.

Reactions: Jones1
I may try asking them to turn it on again before I get PTO.

It doesn't make sense that I need PTO for Charge on Solar to appear. You'd think it'd be available before PTO since it would help absorb excess energy from the panels.
Yeah. You don’t have to have PTO. PTO is only for going back to the grid. Tesla will limit your inverter. So you don’t go back to the grid. They can do whatever they want. If you talk to the right person.
Tesla is a Software Company. 😆

@Koolio46
IMG_0475.jpeg

IMG_0474.jpeg

It looks like it won't charge the car until there is a minimum of 1.2kW of excess solar available. I have a Model 3 RWD with the LFP batteries so I can only charge to 32 amps max. Right now I have full Powerwalls and 11 kW of generation and I'm sending 7 kW to the car and exporting 2 kW to the grid after the house loads.

Attachments

• IMG_9299.PNG
    IMG_9299.PNG
    620.2 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Jones1
It looks like it won't charge the car until there is a minimum of 1.2kW of excess solar available. I have a Model 3 RWD with the LFP batteries so I can only charge to 32 amps max. Right now I have full Powerwalls and 11 kW of generation and I'm sending 7 kW to the car and exporting 2 kW to the grid after the house loads.
Yes. 1.2kW is the lowest.