Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge level vs limited regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone leaves home on a consistent schedule on a daily basis, the Scheduled Departure function works amazing well to warm up the battery and you have 100% full regen when you leave your home.

My specific case - I have been testing it with different start times (just to push the test some more).

I set the scheduled departure to be 30 mins after my actual departure.

1. Saturday Feb. 1 : I set the Scheduled Departure to leave at 6:30 AM, but left home at 6:05 AM. I had full 100% regen
  2. Monday Feb 3: I set Scheduled Departure to leave home at 9:30 AM, and in this case I got delayed and actually left home at 9:30 AM. I noticed that when I turned on Pre-heat at 9:00 AM, the battery warming icon lit up. Didn't notice that before on Saturday when I turned on pre-heat 30 mins before I left home
  3. Tuesday Feb. 4: I set scheduled departure at 10:00 AM and left home at 9:30 and again I had full 100% regen.
I use TeslaSpy for some stats and for both Monday and Tuesday, the charging of the battery finished before 6:00 AM. No idea if this is a coincidence. I will drain the battery to 30% (instead of the usual 50%) and see if that changes the finish time of the charging.

Couple notes/questions:
- I thought Scheduled charging wouldn’t charge after 6am due to electricity costs (I think there is a thread about this somewhere)
- Is your car in a garage?
- What are you charging your SOC to? Are you going from 50-80? That wont give me full regen (leave me at 12-13C in todays weather)
- I am going to set mine to leave 30 min after like you do. Maybe thats the secret sauce.

Great info! Thanks!

Couple notes/questions:
- I thought Scheduled charging wouldn’t charge after 6am due to electricity costs (I think there is a thread about this somewhere).
Not scheduled charging. Scheduled Departure :) But I've noticed that charging finishes before 6:00 AM anyway.
- Is your car in a garage?
Yes and its about 8 Celsius warmer than the ambient temp outside
- What are you charging your SOC to? Are you going from 50-80? That wont give me full regen (leave me at 12-13C in todays weather)
I always set my charge limit to 90%. I'm not consistent on what level I charge from. It varies between 35% to 65%.
- I am going to set mine to leave 30 min after like you do. Maybe thats the secret sauce.

Great info! Thanks!
Let me know how it goes.

Its a bit of a pain to change this everyday, but I usually am the last person to drive the car in the day (my wife drives my son to school during the day). So I just make the change to the scheduled departure after my last drive for the night as you cannot set it for a per day schedule. Its the same timing every day unfortunately. Hence the requirement to update it every day.

If anyone leaves home on a consistent schedule on a daily basis, the Scheduled Departure function works amazing well to warm up the battery and you have 100% full regen when you leave your home.

My specific case - I have been testing it with different start times (just to push the test some more).

I set the scheduled departure to be 30 mins after my actual departure.

1. Saturday Feb. 1 : I set the Scheduled Departure to leave at 6:30 AM, but left home at 6:05 AM. I had full 100% regen
  2. Monday Feb 3: I set Scheduled Departure to leave home at 9:30 AM, and in this case I got delayed and actually left home at 9:30 AM. I noticed that when I turned on Pre-heat at 9:00 AM, the battery warming icon lit up. Didn't notice that before on Saturday when I turned on pre-heat 30 mins before I left home
  3. Tuesday Feb. 4: I set scheduled departure at 10:00 AM and left home at 9:30 and again I had full 100% regen.
I use TeslaSpy for some stats and for both Monday and Tuesday, the charging of the battery finished before 6:00 AM. No idea if this is a coincidence. I will drain the battery to 30% (instead of the usual 50%) and see if that changes the finish time of the charging.
I experimented with scheduled departure, and turned it off when it overcharged my battery on the weekend instead of stopping at my set limit (and yes, I did set it to only schedule charge on weekdays).

Scheduled charging also did not affect my regen level, at least not beyond what charging my battery anyway did.

Anyone willing to test this out to see if there’s a correlation here, or if my X is just being weird? :p