Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge limit set to 70%, charges to 73%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a future problem waiting to happen? Never happened when I had the charge limit set to 80%.

It shouldnt be (a problem waiting to happen). These are estimates, and its a very common occurrence for the car to sometimes overshoot, since its not like running water or something.

With that being said, I also want to acknowledge that, based on what it appears you went through previously, you are likely really focused on details around the car so I understand the concern. In this case, I wouldnt worry about it though.

Would be mildly interesting for someone to check it when the charge completes and then look again after sits.

I’ve never paid attention since this does not matter, but just wonder if it is the open-circuit voltage adjustment or whether it just plain misses the target (would be odd I guess). A couple % adjustment in sleep (up or down but usually up) is pretty normal.

Reactions: phishphan
I've had up to 3% difference in both directions over the 2.5 years I've had my car. I normally charge in a heated garage but I have also charged outside from time to time. My last few charges have been spot on but I recently did a trip, let the car sleep at 19% etc so maybe my BMS is better adjusted these days. I'll try to gather a bit more information. Still, normal behavior.

For over a year when I had level set to 60% to charge at 2am would almost always be 62% when I went to drive off around 8am .. I did happen to wake up by chance at around 3 or 4am a few times and app indicated charge completed at 60% …
strangly now that I have had car set to 50% for last few months I depart to it dead on at 50% every time 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: beachmiles
I've gotten the notification on the App when the car stopped charging at 80% but hours later when I went to drive the car it was up to 82-83. It probably happens once/month.
Right, that’s what I would expect.

This happens after drives too sometimes (often); we just don’t notice it. Or people interpret it as large phantom drain (if the correction is down, which seems less common than up (which is good!)).

The first year I owned my Tesla it always charged to the exact number I set it at. Now most of the time it's plus or minus to what I set it at. I know it's considered normal but it's something very annoying, especially when trying to maintain the battery health.

I noticed this today. Now note that it has been accurate the two years I have owned the car so I was worried.

BUT, I discovered something that may be different from what others have experienced and I am sharing to see if it's actually the same thing others I have ran into.

Last night, I lowered the charge limit from when taking trips from 86% to 80% in the APP after I plugged the car in for the schedule 2am charge start.
This morning, it was still charging, and the app listed 82% charge with a limit still at 80% with the detail of another 30+ minutes of charging to complete. I searched and found this thread (and several others), and on a whim I rebooted my phone, started the Tesla App again, and now the charge limit displays 86% instead of the 80% before.
Did the app not communicate the charge limit to the car? I didn't check the car to see what it thought its limit should have been. Does the app have a bug that it doesn't update the charge limit after the car has been plugged in?
Changing the charge limit back down to 80% in the app stopped the charge immediately.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221019-095227.png
    Screenshot_20221019-095227.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 324
I feel like the charging is super glitchy now. Mine sometimes doesn't charge to the set limit and even randomly starts when ever the heck it wants too (despite being set to charge at midnight). I don't have any third party apps, have it to charge using SCHEDULED CHARGING. It hasn't messed up any travel for me so I'm not going to bring it in for service just for this but it's super annoying. I don't want it charging during peak hours. Any insight from anyone else on this subject would be great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221107-103818 - Copy.png
    Screenshot_20221107-103818 - Copy.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 128
  • PXL_20221107_183208872 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20221107_183208872 - Copy.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20221105-073811 - Copy.png
    Screenshot_20221105-073811 - Copy.png
    229.2 KB · Views: 118
Preconditioning can also bump up your charge level a bit, though usually not very significantly. It turns the EVSE back on to cover the energy expenditure, and any extra power the on-board charger draws can be put into the battery. If you're charging from 120v/12a, preconditioning may even LOWER the charge level, especially in extreme temps.