Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door Closing Too Quickly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My problem (such as it is) is that the ChargePoint system I use at work (for FREE! I mean, I'm only saving about $5/wk, but it's something) will allow you to unhook immediately by pressing the button on the handle, but the adapter is still inserted, and still locked.
I then have to go into the app and unlock.
I suppose it's a good thing that it doesn't "just unlock the adapter", though, since anyone walking by could actually unplug the car at any time, and that would allow them to just grab the adapter, too.
It's not a big deal, but I thought that it would just come out all together, especially if my app is open (acting as a phone-key).

A related question for J-1772 users. Where do you keep the adaptor? I put in the door pocket/bottle/to front space. Anyone have a better suggestion

I use this:

Tesla Model 3 Center Console Tray w/ J1772 Adapter Slot. by Options

Which they can already do just by pulling the adapter out WITH the plug. :rolleyes:

I haven't tested this, but it was my understanding that the charge-port latch will only unlock if the phone-as-key is nearby and power is interrupted, or if it's explicitly unlocked from the car's console or app. A random stranger walking up and removing a J1772 handle should not unlock the charge port, as I understand it.

Reactions: eprosenx
Which they can already do just by pulling the adapter out WITH the plug. :rolleyes:

Whatchyoutalkinboutwillis? You said why lock the port with no signal? I said so it can’t get stolen. A thief cannot do what you just said above (pull adapter out with the plug) because it’s LOCKED (what you were complaining about). LOL:

Mini rant: There's no reason for the port to lock on the J1772 adapter when it's in by itself. If there isn't a valid proximity signal, why lock the port?

You can’t pull the adapter out with the plug unless it is unlocked! It doesn’t unlock unless you stop charging + unlock the port with the car or app, or you’ve pressed the latch button on the plug *and* the car feels like the owner is there so it unlocks (authorized phone in proximity, or some other combination of the car deeming it okay for the owner to remove it (doors open, trunk open? not sure all cases). A thief cannot do the same! This is the very basic of how a “lock” works :)

So to repeat again, re: “there’s no good reason” for locking it ... there is a very good reason for the port to lock in just the adapter. SO IT DOES NOT GET STOLEN!

A thief can’t take it. Get it? How can they pull both out together? They can’t without you being there.

It’s like you saying “there’s no good reason for my doors or trunk to lock, I can open them easily, why lock them?”
YOU can open them. A thief can’t. “Locks” ... they keep your stuff locked.

Whatchyoutalkinboutwillis? You said why lock the port with no signal? I said so it can’t get stolen. A thief cannot do what you just said above (pull adapter out with the plug) because it’s LOCKED (what you were complaining about). LOL:

You can’t pull the adapter out with the plug unless it is unlocked! It doesn’t unlock unless you stop charging + unlock the port with the car or app, or you’ve pressed the latch button on the plug *and* the car feels like the owner is there so it unlocks (authorized phone in proximity, or some other combination of the car deeming it okay for the owner to remove it (doors open, trunk open? not sure all cases). A thief cannot do the same! This is the very basic of how a “lock” works :)

So to repeat again, re: “there’s no good reason” for locking it ... there is a very good reason for the port to lock in just the adapter. SO IT DOES NOT GET STOLEN!

A thief can’t take it. Get it? How can they pull both out together? They can’t without you being there.

It’s like you saying “there’s no good reason for my doors or trunk to lock, I can open them easily, why lock them?”
YOU can open them. A thief can’t. “Locks” ... they keep your stuff locked.
Yeah, somebody else already pointed out my mistake. :oops: Do you feel better for having added a bunch of capitals and exclamation points to it? :rolleyes:

Fun watching you argue with yourself.

Yeah, It does seem that Tesla is a little broken when to comes to sensing the proximity signal change when pressing the J1772 button. They probably relaxed the timing because they are (erroneously) relying on the lock in the charge port. If you're pulling the adapter and plug out together, it's impossible to get it to arc since the car has to unlock the port before you can do it.

If you insist on pulling the J1772 plug separately, I could see checking that the charge port light changes when you press the button, just in case you have some broken handle, but to go inside the car and cancel charging every time? Totally unnecessary.

I missed the part where I argued with myself, and I think you missed several parts I disputed that you wrote. LOL.

You said: “Pressing the button on the J1772 does exactly the same thing that pressing the button on the Tesla connector does”.
This is false.

You said “When pressed, the car will stop drawing current in a fraction of a second, faster than you can pull the plug out.”.
This is false.

You said: “There's no reason for the port to lock on the J1772 adapter when it's in by itself”
This is false.

... and I’m not “insisting” on pulling the plug and adapter separately. I’m insisting that it’s safest to stop charging before pulling anything out to avoid many possible issues. The latch lock could break or already be broken, so you might *think* you are pulling the adapter out with the plug but you aren’t.

Safety first.

“Totally unnecessary”? Sure, the same way seat belts are also “totally unnecessary”. You should only use them the trip you are going to get into an accident, and not any other time.

I can’t argue with that. (and you don’t have to go into the car, you can use the app before you get to the car).

So to recap your “technique is to press the J1772 button, release it, push the connector in to reengage the lock, then pull them out together all with one hand”.

The problems with this are if the resistor supposed to be triggered by the button is faulty or the button is otherwise faulty, you won’t signal the car. If you then remove just the plug it could arc. If you then try to remove both together it could stop you if the latch mechanism isn’t broken, causing you to use my safer method anyways (stopping and unlocking with app or car). If the latch mechanism is broken (or breaks when you pull on it) then you’ll think you are pulling both the plug and adapter out but you will be leaving the adapter behind. If you noticed the charge didn’t stop you could save any arcing, if not ... arcing.

INSTEAD, the safety first approach ...
If you always stop charging and always use two hands (pull the plug with one hand and hold the adapter with the other), you won’t be bitten ever by a faulty J1772 resistor or latch mechanism (as I just described, there may be other ways to get bitten :)).

... but feel free to do it the way that’s prone to unsafety, and only revert to the safe method AFTER you encounter an issue ... hopefully the issue fails safe without damage done.

I will continue to use my seat belt every trip, and stop charging via Tesla before unplugging anything.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: davewill
I missed the part where I argued with myself, and I think you missed several parts I disputed that you wrote. LOL.

You said: “Pressing the button on the J1772 does exactly the same thing that pressing the button on the Tesla connector does”.
This is false.

You said “When pressed, the car will stop drawing current in a fraction of a second, faster than you can pull the plug out.”.
This is false.

You said: “There's no reason for the port to lock on the J1772 adapter when it's in by itself”
This is false.

... and I’m not “insisting” on pulling the plug and adapter separately. I’m insisting that it’s safest to stop charging before pulling anything out to avoid many possible issues. The latch lock could break or already be broken, so you might *think* you are pulling the adapter out with the plug but you aren’t.

Safety first.

“Totally unnecessary”? Sure, the same way seat belts are also “totally unnecessary”. You should only use them the trip you are going to get into an accident, and not any other time.

I can’t argue with that. (and you don’t have to go into the car, you can use the app before you get to the car).

So to recap your “technique is to press the J1772 button, release it, push the connector in to reengage the lock, then pull them out together all with one hand”.

The problems with this are if the resistor supposed to be triggered by the button is faulty or the button is otherwise faulty, you won’t signal the car. If you then remove just the plug it could arc. If you then try to remove both together it could stop you if the latch mechanism isn’t broken, causing you to use my safer method anyways (stopping and unlocking with app or car). If the latch mechanism is broken (or breaks when you pull on it) then you’ll think you are pulling both the plug and adapter out but you will be leaving the adapter behind. If you noticed the charge didn’t stop you could save any arcing, if not ... arcing.

INSTEAD, the safety first approach ...
If you always stop charging and always use two hands (pull the plug with one hand and hold the adapter with the other), you won’t be bitten ever by a faulty J1772 resistor or latch mechanism (as I just described, there may be other ways to get bitten :)).

... but feel free to do it the way that’s prone to unsafety, and only revert to the safe method AFTER you encounter an issue ... hopefully the issue fails safe without damage done.

I will continue to use my seat belt every trip, and stop charging via Tesla before unplugging anything.
Sure.

You know if you repeat yourself enough, maybe everyone will believe you. :)