Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port latch issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something that's been bothering me since I got my car is that the charge plug on my UMC tends to be really hard to pull out once unlocked. Sometimes I'm tugging on it really hard and don't get it out in time so it locks back up again (also confused as to why it does that but I think that's a different issue).

I think I've narrowed it down to the charge port latching pin not retracting all the way when it unlocks. This photo shows that the pin is a little proud of the socket ID:

4C5552A8-9D82-42DE-A4D3-F5BA30499DA5.jpeg

In fact, it's creating a divot on the corner of the mating recess on my UMC plug where the pin is deforming the plastic when I pull it out:

3BC66721-44F6-436F-B71B-11BA2CD958C7.jpeg

I can reach into the socket with my finger and manually push the locking pin down and this seems to help, though I'm not certain since it immediately locks again when I stick the plug back in to test the pull out. It usually goes in ok, I think because the pin is sloped slightly.

FA99DB21-E361-4BD8-BC5F-0E340AFEF7E3.jpeg

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Is this a known issue or is something wrong? Figured I may as well ask here since the soonest available service slot is a month out.

Attachments

• CA6ED171-BA3B-4C48-B949-1380C271A910.jpeg
    CA6ED171-BA3B-4C48-B949-1380C271A910.jpeg
    924.7 KB · Views: 631
  • 522FE4B8-3B43-415C-B622-CC8C8EAF01A4.jpeg
    522FE4B8-3B43-415C-B622-CC8C8EAF01A4.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 401
Something that's been bothering me since I got my car is that the charge plug on my UMC tends to be really hard to pull out once unlocked. Sometimes I'm tugging on it really hard and don't get it out in time so it locks back up again (also confused as to why it does that but I think that's a different issue).

I think I've narrowed it down to the charge port latching pin not retracting all the way when it unlocks. This photo shows that the pin is a little proud of the socket ID:

View attachment 397035

In fact, it's creating a divot on the corner of the mating recess on my UMC plug where the pin is deforming the plastic when I pull it out:

View attachment 397036

I can reach into the socket with my finger and manually push the locking pin down and this seems to help, though I'm not certain since it immediately locks again when I stick the plug back in to test the pull out. It usually goes in ok, I think because the pin is sloped slightly.

View attachment 397033

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Is this a known issue or is something wrong? Figured I may as well ask here since the soonest available service slot is a month out.

FYI, I had mobile service come out and diagnose this exact issue 2 weeks ago. Your diagnosis is correct, and there is actually a pseudo-TSB (and new part number) for this piece. They're coming out on Friday to replace the charge port.

This morning my charge plug will not come out. First time this has happened to me.
On my screen on the left side where the car is, there is no charge port showing. Only the truck latch front and read and the doors.
I looked on the left side of the trunk but couldn't find the latch.

Where is it?

Had issue where charge port wouldn’t release charger or start charging at times. Scheduled service and had service van come out and he replaced charge port saying it was known issue. 9/2018 mfg date.

Not one issue since!

I had this exact issue too. The “locking pin” would not retract completely and made it very difficult (but not impossible) to remove UMC handle. At the time I thought the difficulty was normal, only had car for a few months. Tesla Mobile Service came out to install my spoiler and while on location the tech told me he was going to replace my charge port due to known defect. After it was replaced the UMC slide out perfectly.... for a few months. The problem has reared its head AGAIN. It has slowly deteriorated to not only be challenging to remove the UMC but impossible unless I use the manual release from within the trunk. Service scheduled in a week and a half, I’ll update if anyone is listening.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
It used to unlock instantly after pressing the button on the handle, so you’d be able to release it immediately, this was before the cold weather update they put it last winter. Now they have a delay before the pin releases the charging cord.

View attachment 397035

View attachment 397036

View attachment 397033

I am getting this message charge port latch not engaged fully insert charging cable or check for obstruction. I can not charge my car now. This is a real problem.