Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port -- Takes two attempts to unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have a 2015 Model S P85DL and I find it usually takes me a couple of attempts to unlock the charge port. Here's the sequence I have to do to remove the charger cable from the cahrge port:
  • Attempt #1:
    • I press the charger cable button
    • I hear the charge port unlock (but it doesn't sound like the pin is moving with much power)
    • I wait a second for the charge port light to turn white
    • I attempt to pull out the charger cable, but it's still locked in place
    • I hear the charge port automatically lock again
  • Attempt #2:
    • I press the charger cable button again
    • I hear the charge port unlock (but it doesn't sound like the pin is moving with much power)
    • I wait a second for the charge port to turn white
    • I'm now able to pull out the charger cable
This has been happening for about a year, and I've just been living with it :p It's pretty consistent where it always takes two attempts to remove the cable. Does anyone know what the issue might be (or what I might be doing wrong)?

Thanks!

Try this:

1. Ensure the car is unlocked
  2. Gently push the handle into the car and maintain pressure to ensure it is fully seated
  3. Press and hold the button on the top until the charge port turns white
  4. Continue to hold the button while you remove the handle

@ATPMSD has the right idea. I'll only add that once removed, look at your handle and see if there is any debris in the locking slot of the handle, and also the charge port itself. Clean it out if so. I'd expect if the locking pawl was worn, it would be even easier to unlock and remove, so I don't think that's the issue.

First, what is the charging equipment you are having the issue? Is it the UMC or HPWC that you use? I have found that with UMC I have to keep holding the handle button for about five second (to assure the small box will faintly click) so the charge port will release it. That additional click is very weak but I have learned this is the only solution as SeC does not care if you turn to them with the issue. With my HPWC handle I do not have that issue. I even managed to get the charge port changed four years ago while I asked them to get solution. Obviously the change did not make any difference, my car was under warranty back then.