Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint Amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When only my vehicle is charging at a public chargepoint, it defaults to 29A in the Tesla app. I can use the Tesla app to turn it up to 30A.

Same thing today, another car is charging. It initially defaulted like 12A, I bumped it to 30A in the app. Around a half hour later it dropped to 28A, but let me bump it back to 30.

Any idea why it drops below what is available? Any reason not to use the Tesla app to bump it to 30. Bad for the pack?

I wouldn't be concerned. In my experience with public Level2 charging, using Chargepoint charging equipment, my Tesla Model Y hunts a bit when charging starts before settling on ~200V, 30A charging. Chargepoint charging station will sometimes refuse to charge or stop charging after only 2 minutes only to restart. I attribute this to inconsistent firmware installed on the Chargepoint charging stations. 28A or 30A and 200V to 208V is still considered 6kW charging by the Tesla charging session.

Reactions: DrivingDelta