Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

chargepoint flex current limit set to 40A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a chargepoint flex hardwired model and it has set the current limit to 40A (80% of the max 50A possible). Is that okay? My electrician told me, if I need to increase it to 48A, I will have to call chargepoint customer support. I wanted to know the opinion here on how much has everyone set it at?

Your maximum allowed current with the hardwired Home Flex depends entirely on how your electrician wired that circuit to your Home Flex. Assuming he/she installed a 50 amp breaker (and the correct wire size for that breaker), somebody should have used the chargepoint install app, or the setup from the regular app, to tell the Home Flex it has a 50 amp breaker. That would allow the Flex to charge up to 40 amps (80% of the breaker size).

The Home Flex supports up to 50 amps charge current. That requires at least a 70 amp breaker and the correct wire size for a breaker that large.

So the bottom line is what size breaker did the electrician install? If he installed a 50 A breaker, your 40 amps max charge current is correct. If he installed a 60 A breaker, then you need to change the chargepoint settings (from the app) that informs the Flex so it can go up to 48 A continuous. No phone call to chargepoint is necessary to setup this parameter: it is in the app. Do NOT increase this value unless your wiring and breaker match the setup parameter.