Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger cord management

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
One of the design aspects I don't like about my MY is the location of the charge port. If you can park next to a wall or back in it works, but if you can't it's pretty inconvenient. Our situation is such that I can't park next to the wall in our garage and backing in is challenging at best and would be virtually impossible with a snowy driveway so I'm left with pulling the cord out from the charger mounted on the back garage wall. Of course, running the cord on the floor isn't great, either and in the winter time it got horribly dirty from all the grime that the cars track in.

Looking for a way to easily pull the cord out and then push it back while keeping it off the floor, I found these trolleys at rocker. They also sell some aluminum tracks, but they're $32 for a 4' section, which is rather pricey. The trolleys also fit in a strut channel used for mounting electrical and plumbing lines. These worked but were rather noisy and bothered my son whose bedroom is above the garage. I ended up making some channels out of wood that work well and are much quieter. To keep the cord from kinking the charging cable I used ½" Pet corner supports. Now I just pull the cable out on the track when I need to charge and push it back against the wall when I'm done. It stays off the floor and out of the way, protected from damage and kink-free. One word of warning - the strut Chanels are rather heavy and mounting them is really a 2 person job.
1646490953034.png1646491459476.png1646492114994.png

1646491757952.png
1646491786678.png

Reactions: csrpenfab