Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a Tesla wall charger hold the weight of Lectron cable extension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to run a Lectron extension cable from my wall charger and I wondered if the wall charger can accept the extra weight of the scale or will I need a separate bracket to hold it?
This is the cable?

I think that entirely depends on how the wall connector is mounted to the wall. You could test by looking up the weight of that cable and then setting something of similar weight on your wall charge.

The bigger concern is that you're using an extension cable. That is not recommended due to the additional connectors and potential for heat build up.

The cables should not be allowed to run across the ground and should be supported by brackets, as much as it practical to do so. Also, the plug and connector should not be under stress, such as “hanging.”

You should consider relocating the wall connector instead of using an extension cord.

The cables should not be allowed to run across the ground and should be supported by brackets, as much as it practical to do so.
I've never heard this before, can you please explain why?

In my garage, my cable drops to the ground from the charger, follows along the wall to the car charge port, and cuts across to the car (still on the concrete). Nowhere is it supported by brackets because it didn't need to be. Now I'm concerned that I need to make a change.

I've never heard this before, can you please explain why?

This is more of a best practice. Wires should not be run along a floor as the wire can be accidentally damaged or cut, and is a tripping hazard. It is one thing to run a wire along the floor from a connector to the car as this is a temporary use, and it is often impractical to run along a wall via brackets, but it still a good idea if practical. But in the case of an extension, if that is more or less of a permanent solution then the extension should be kept off the floor.

Last edited:
This is more of a best practice. Wires should not be run along a floor as the wire can be accidentally damaged or cut, and is a tripping hazard. It is one thing to run a wire along the floor from a connector to the car as this is a temporary use, and it is often impractical to run along a wall via brackets, but it still a good idea if practical. But in the case of an extension, if that is more or less of a permanent solution then the extension should be kept off the floor.
Sounds to me like intends to wrap the cord, plug and extension around the wall connector between uses, that's why he's asking about the weight. However, I doubt that he will be able to wrap both around it simply because of the sheer volume. I agree he should move the Wall Connector, even if it means running conduit on the wall.

Sounds to me like intends to wrap the cord, plug and extension around the wall connector between uses, that's why he's asking about the weight. However, I doubt that he will be able to wrap both around it simply because of the sheer volume. I agree he should move the Wall Connector, even if it means running conduit on the wall.
Yes that’s what I intend to do:) sounds like I’ll need a second hook for the extension.

Moving the charger closer isn’t an option since I have an assigned parking space and the closet wall/acess point is far away.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
Yes that’s what I intend to do:) sounds like I’ll need a second hook for the extension.

Moving the charger closer isn’t an option since I have an assigned parking space and the closet wall/acess point is far away.
Um. Got a Gen 2 Wall Connector. The 18' cable (I think) doesn't have an issue getting wrapped around the thing for storage. As it happens, it sits in the middle of a 2-car garage, in the bit of wall between the two garage doors. The SO's car's port is right next to the thing; my car goes through the other door, so a couple unwindings and the cable on the floor is how one gets over to my charge port.

The WC is screwed into a square of 3/8" plywood which, in turn, is screwed into studs. So it's mounted pretty rigidly. I don't think putting another couple-three turns of cable around it would affect the weight-handling, although it's likely that it might run out of room to put the cable on top.

Suggestion: Look for a place to mount another bracket, but don't buy said bracket until you get the extension cable. Then try the fit. If some kind of better hanger is what you need, then go and get it at that point.

Finally: I wouldn't worry about suspending the cable in mid-air too much. The WC's are rated for outdoor use: Rain, snow, the works. And the cable on mine looks pretty rugged. But I wouldn't rig it so other cars can run over it.

Well that doesn't sound good at all, because you will be stretching the double length cable across a public area. Suggest you think about a pedestal at your parking space.

Reactions: ATPMSD
8k sounds a little pricy for 30-40 ft. You might want to get some competitive quotes. I expect that someone will object strongly after you stretch that long cable across a few spaces for a while.
Even if I wanted to dig there are sewer and electrical services that go through the parking area in a way that won't permit the charger to be installed at the head of the parking area.

This will be interesting to see as old New England homes (1800s) are condos handle this as I’m sure this won’t be the only hiccups as we transition the infrastructure.