Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Hell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Ordered my Model 3 Performance through a previously used lease supplier 2 weeks ago and have a delivery date of Monday 17th! Which is great. But has put the pressure on to sort a charger, which is driving me crazy!

I've opted for the Rolec Smart, after being drawn in by their decent £445 from price, given I have a very standard installation. However, the estimate that's come back from the installer is nearly double that:

Rolec untethered Home Smart 7.2KW EVHS 2020 £682.50

1 x premium Colour Upgrade (White and Grey?) £20.00

1 x OPEN Device (Garo) £130.00

Meter Tails and Henley Block £20.00

Sub Total £972.50

VAT £194.50

Total £1167.00

OLEV GRANT - £350.00

Total Client Contribution £817.00

Is this normal?! Ie. for the estimate to be nothing like the manufacturer's advertised price? This quote puts the Rolec ahead of the more expensive EO Mini Pro and near to the Anderson.

Pod Point is coming out at £529, but I really don't want to fill out all the OLEV docs again if it's actually going to be way over that price.

My other option is the to buy a charger independently and have an electrician friend (OLEV approved) fit it for me and claim the grant on my behalf. Has anyone gone down that route?

Cheers!

A few points from me:

- OLEV grant requires a smart charger (i.e. network connected and controllable remotely). IMHO, these are a PITA since various network and server issues can frustrate the simple task of turning the damned thing on. Unless you’ve got solar etc, then avoid it and just get a dumb charger. That means no OLEV grant, but I’m pretty sure it’s mostly the case that the price gets manipulated so the grant just lines the installers’ pockets.

- The car’s scheduled charge feature does all that’s really needed to make effective use of cheap rate electricity, so the fancy apps that come with smart chargers really aren’t necessary.

- The Tesla charger is a good basic charger. I’ve never heard complaints about it. Plus, you get the button to open/close the charge port - which is well worth having.

- Go tethered not untethered. No one really needs to disconnect the cable on a home charger.

- Avoid Rolec - lots of complaints if you go looking

Looks like they are specifying an Open PEN device for earthing instead of cheaper earth rods or possibly something built into some charge points. So you need to take that £156 cost into consideration when comparing and what other methods to satisfy earthing requirements are being used.

Thanks guys.

Interesting take on the "smart" charger. I've found the EO Mini basic (like it for it's size) for £400, so plus £200-ish of installation, that could be a way to go. Not Smart but, as you say, that has it's benefits.

Take your point: tethered, but I don't really like the sight of the cable - just personal preference. The Anderson hides it well, but is just out of price range.

Will check out the Tesla charger. Weirdly, of the many I've looked at; that hasn't cropped up yet so I didn't even consider it! Looks like it's currently "Sold out" too, if I'm reading the site correctly.

Good to know re: Pod Point. It put me off that you have to hand over card details before filling out the OLEV stuff etc. It's been the other way round with all the others.

Looks like they are specifying an Open PEN device for earthing instead of cheaper earth rods or possibly something built into some charge points. So you need to take that £156 cost into consideration when comparing and what other methods to satisfy earthing requirements are being used.

Yes, good spot. I questioned that and that's exactly what it is. Can't use earth rods post April or something apparently!

Thanks guys.

Interesting take on the "smart" charger. I've found the EO Mini basic (like it for it's size) for £400, so plus £200-ish of installation, that could be a way to go. Not Smart but, as you say, that has it's benefits.

Take your point: tethered, but I don't really like the sight of the cable - just personal preference. The Anderson hides it well, but is just out of price range.

Will check out the Tesla charger. Weirdly, of the many I've looked at; that hasn't cropped up yet so I didn't even consider it! Looks like it's currently "Sold out" too, if I'm reading the site correctly.

Good to know re: Pod Point. It put me off that you have to hand over card details before filling out the OLEV stuff etc. It's been the other way round with all the others.
I went for Tesla WC. Then had a Tesla recommended company do the install at £560.94. So total around £1100

Remember this is going to probably be on your house wall for years to come, and you will have to look at it nearly everyday as you leave and comeback.

Yeah I get that, which is what puts me off the Pod Point a little and getting tethered. I didn't mind the Rolec as I could change the colour of the unit to match the house render, and also the Mini Pro just because it's so small.

Reactions: j1mgg
Yeah I get that, which is what puts me off the Pod Point a little and getting tethered. I didn't mind the Rolec as I could change the colour of the unit to match the house render, and also the Mini Pro just because it's so small.

I went with the Anderson as it is all enclosed in itself, and would appease the missus, she would silently go through the roof if the cable was on display all the time.

you can buy a Rolec EV WallPod HomeSmart 32A 7.2kW EVHS2020 yourself from online retailers for under £440 ex, so they are 100% ripping you off at £682

Edit: Just looked and that must be a fitted cost so including running armoured cable etc? so maybe not that bad. Having said all that the full cable run and fitting when we had one done was around £150 inc...

I'm still weighing up a commando 32a socket with ohme charger Vs an installed box. Once I have the quote for the socket install Wednesday I'll know for sure.
If I do go down the commando socket route I'll make a nice 'enclosure' that'll house everything and look as good as the Anderson box without the cost.

Hi all,

Ordered my Model 3 Performance through a previously used lease supplier 2 weeks ago and have a delivery date of Monday 17th! Which is great. But has put the pressure on to sort a charger, which is driving me crazy!

I've opted for the Rolec Smart, after being drawn in by their decent £445 from price, given I have a very standard installation. However, the estimate that's come back from the installer is nearly double that:

Sub Total £972.50

VAT £194.50

Total £1167.00

OLEV GRANT - £350.00

Is this normal?! Ie. for the estimate to be nothing like the manufacturer's advertised price? This quote puts the Rolec ahead of the more expensive EO Mini Pro and near to the Anderson.

Pod Point is coming out at £529, but I really don't want to fill out all the OLEV docs again if it's actually going to be way over that price.

My other option is the to buy a charger independently and have an electrician friend (OLEV approved) fit it for me and claim the grant on my behalf. Has anyone gone down that route?

Cheers!

I’d suggest go to pod-point direct. They’re great and the install was a doddle.

on another note my neighbour also had a pod point installed through an external provider (not direct) and the install is awful it’s like night and day.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate that charging is a topic that's probably be done to death.

My current thinking is to go non-smart or "dumb" with the basic EO Mini (simply because it's so discreet) at £330 ex VAT and have it installed privately.

At this point, I never want to read the letters O L E V again.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Hi all,

Sub Total £972.50

VAT £194.50

Total £1167.00

OLEV GRANT - £350.00

Cheers!
The quote above looks like Labour (plus small tools etc) costs are lumped into the rolec cost as i can not see a labour cost shown. This would make it look expensive. You could ask them to break down to that cost? Usually a call out charge (Labour rate) for an electrician day rate is around £200-250 a day or £35-40 per hour (depending on UK location)

The quote above looks like Labour (plus small tools etc) costs are lumped into the rolec cost as i can not see a labour cost shown. This would make it look expensive. You could ask them to break down to that cost? Usually a call out charge (Labour rate) for an electrician day rate is around £200-250 a day or £35-40 per hour (depending on UK location)

Hey, you're right, it does indeed. And, as I said to the installer, I don't necessarily think the quote from them is unfair, it just doesn't sit well with me that Rolec themselves advertise a £445 price (inc. grant and install) for a standard installation - and then pass it over to an installer who has to quote you double!

Reactions: davidmc