Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Install - Region of Waterloo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone! Just thought I would give a shout-out and let anyone else know who may be needing an EV charger installed.

I had Neighbourhood Electric come and install an Electric Vehicle Charging Station on my home. This was their first time installing an EV charger for home use and they knocked it out of the park.

The work they did met my very high expectations and they were very professional and polite throughout.

I had Neighbourhood Electric upgrade my panel, install 120ft of 40a tech cable run through my soffit (to hide the cable), and install a ChargePoint 25 32a home charger.

I got 5 quotes from other contractors and Neighbourhood Electric was 3rd in terms of pricing (so right in the middle). I chose them because of the reviews I found online and from the professionalism Keith showed when quoting the job.

Please feel free to post your experiences with other local contractors here so other people can know your experiences!

Attachments

• 20180407_131055.jpg
    20180407_131055.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 119
Interesting thing i found out from the ESA inspector....

Aparently the Tesla Chargers are not CSA approved!!!!

Idk if thats true or not.. but really surprising if in fact it is true.

HPWC is listed on the Ontario government site for the rebate. It is approved in Canada.
From the manual "cULus listed for the United States and Canada under file number E354307, FCC Part 15".
With NATFA I think Underwriters Labs Canadian division has government authority to certify in Canada Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC), not just the CSA.

Interesting thing i found out from the ESA inspector....

Aparently the Tesla Chargers are not CSA approved!!!!

Idk if thats true or not.. but really surprising if in fact it is true.

This is called spreading FUD.

Look it up in the Tesla documentation, https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...a-wall-connector-installation-manua-en-v1.pdf. Search that document for "Agency Approvals" and you find:

Agency Approvals

cULus listed for United States and Canada under filenumber E354307, FCC Part 15.

Or just look on the side of the wall connector:
IMG_2192.JPG

So, no, it does not appeared to have been certified by the CSA, but it is cUL approved. See page 402 of the 2015 version of the CEC. Prior to inspection I was asked by my inspector if there was a certification approval mark, and he was satisfied with the above picture.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RedSafari
This is called spreading FUD.

Look it up in the Tesla documentation, https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...a-wall-connector-installation-manua-en-v1.pdf. Search that document for "Agency Approvals" and you find:

Agency Approvals

cULus listed for United States and Canada under filenumber E354307, FCC Part 15.

Or just look on the side of the wall connector:
View attachment 292538

So, no, it does not appeared to have been tested by the CSA, but it is cUL approved.
Or.. or...

Just sharing what the inspector told me ;)

Unfortunately, what your inspector told you is not helpful for someone considering installing a Tesla wall connector.
Wait a sec.. now that i have re read your post (at work with limited time), i guess my inspector was correct. It is technically not CSA approved.

However.. doesnt matter anyways because it has the other certification.

Perhaps this may be useful to others when they get their charger inspected... they can reference your post.

Wait a sec.. now that i have re read your post (at work with limited time), i guess my inspector was correct. It is technically not CSA approved.

However.. doesnt matter anyways because it has the other certification.

Perhaps this may be useful to others when they get their charger inspected... they can reference your post.
There are multiple testing bodies that can test to Canadian standards. CSA is the one that we have come to know. CSA can also test to USA standards - you will now see labels showing "c CSA us" on them. However it is commonplace to now see cUL or cULus, or cETL on many products. ESA inspectors have a list of approved testing labs, and their marks.

I have been to electrical meetings with ESA inspectors. They will check for the correct labeling, but will also check for MANY other possible code violations ( wire gauge, disconnect requirement etc.)
Most of the inspectors have seen the Tesla HPWC. It is cULus listed, and marked as such.

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri